Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use a smaller chain???

Here's a real brain teaser:

I adjusted the chain tension the other day, and noticed that the correct tension was achieved when the chain adjuster tick mark on each side lined up between the very first and second tick marks on the swing arm.
    I thought it should be further back than that, more towards the center mark or so.

I thought hmmmmmm......... I wonder if by chance the chain is the wrong size (just bought it this winter). Turns out it is (I think). It has 108 links.

Here's where it gets tricky.... The bike is a 1978 GS550E. I have the Suzuki shop manual for the GS550 (no E), and it says to use a 108 link chain (for the 1978 GS550). A spec sheet I found on line at "Dan's MC Repair course" for Suzuki lists the chain for the 1978 GS550 as 108, and the 1978GS550E (my bike) with a 116 (530-116 chain, which is a very weird size). However, some online pages that sell chain and sprockets list the 1978 GS550E as using a 530-112 chain!!!!

Well, no doubt I have the wrong length chain, so here are my questions:

1. Can I keep using the 530-108 chain (chain is in good shape, and sprockets are not oddly worn). It's just that my tick marks don't come back as much as I think they should (although they are within the range)

2. If it's not a good idea to keep using the 108 link chain, what size do I use??? (112 or 116)

Thanks for the help.

Chad
    Columbus,OH 1978 GS550E
    "I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous"

If the chain is in good shape and you can adjust the tension properly
    use it.

Comment

Are you sure you have the stock teethed sprockets on there? But if it fits and goes I'd use it. I'd watch the sprockets as the chain wears. You might have to replace the chain before you run out of tick marks.

Comment

Yes, I do have the stock 15 teeth front and 50 teeth rear sprockets.

Can I add links to the chain? I want to add two links and see if this helps move the axle back a bit.

Comment

if you know how to watch for when to change a chain before you kill the sprokets then dont worry bout it. you just shortened your bike by a tiny bit, maybe it will corner better?????

Comment

Working...
          X