50,000 miles, 4 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50,000 miles, 4 years

The GS1100GK's odometer turned 75,300 miles last month. I bought the bike on Thanksgiving weekend, 1999, and you can read the details of the purchase by clicking on this link, on this website: http://www.thegsresources.com/storie...ometouring.htm .

When I bought this bike, the odometer showed 25,300 miles. Four full riding seasons and 50,000+ later, the bike is doing just fine, running the way it's supposed to, and giving me mile after mile of solid, cheap pleasure. A bike either runs perfectly or it doesn't -- either/or, black/white, right/wrong, on/off, like a light switch. This bike is on, and has been for 4 years.

When I bought it, I took it to my favorite mechanic, who proceeded to do a State inspection, carb cleanup, valve adjustment, etc. He replaced five of the eight valve shims, which led me to believe at the time that those may well have been original shims.

Since then, the GK has seen the shop only four times, each visit a scheduled tune-up late in the year. I take it to the shop in late November. I don't do carbs and valves, just as some folks don't do windows. It is at this annual checkup that the plugs are changed, air cleaner (a K&N unit) is serviced, gear lube is replaced both in the middle and final drive. Every two years this excellent Suzuki-trained mechanic changes my fork oil and the brake fluid.

The cheapest 87 octane gas goes in the tank, whatever's available, and never any detonation or pinging. Never any difference in performance. 10W40 motorcycle-specific dinosaur oil. Right now I'm using Quaker State brand of the above, which I bought at Walmart. I've also used Valvoline 10W40 motorcycle-specific, at AutoZone. Change of oil and filter (usually Fram 6000) every 2,000 miles or so.

Four years and 50,000 miles. Only problem has been the demise of the exhaust gaskets in late 2002, which caused an exhaust leak that made that pssst sound -- annoying indeed, but the bike kept on running. Kevin removed those stubborn exhaust bolts, installed new exhaust gaskets, and no problems since.

The only other objection I have to these four years is the GK's failed attempt at deer hunting in late 2001. Successful hunt (killed the damn doe...) resulted in owner being hospitalized for 11 days with ....... Many of you know the rest of the sob story. $500 and a lot of eBay and personal purchases later, the GK was on the road again, ready to continue rolling. It now has a GS850 front end and triple tree, and stock GK fairing was replaced by a Windjammer faring and lowers, and no-name trunk to replace the original Suzuki unit -- hence, the "Hybrid GK".

Additions consist of a custom seat constructed from the original pan to fit my tush, by Diamond Custom Seat in Florida. $400, all of them well worth it. Another addition is braided brake lines for the front -- a welcome improvement. Everything else is stock. Custom seat pics below.

Stator and regulator are stock, never replaced by me or the previous owner. Regulator is grounded directly to battery. No electrical or charging problems ever. Actually, in all my years of riding GS bikes, since 1986, I've only had one stator problem, on an 850. Nothing since then. I guess I'm one lucky guy, but then again, people make their own luck more often than not...

So, I'm looking forward to another wonderful 50,000 miles out of this bike in the next four years. Folks, ride your bikes -- that's the best way to keep them running. Use it or lose it. There's no reason that bike won't be able to give me many thousands more trouble-free miles. Compression is even and up to specs, everything works on it, it's fast, it starts immediately every time, it idles smoothly, it accelerates, it runs with the expensive Gold Wings and Beemers, and it's mine.

The reason for this boring post is that we always read of technical problems in this forum, which is, of course, expected; yet I thought it would be appropriate to share a "no-problems-I'm-happy" message with y'all. Let's share some mileage milestones on these "fora" (forums).

So, GS owners, we're the owners of excellent motorcycles that will keep on running in spite of us. Let us continue to cherish them ----

and ride the hell out of them!

Nick

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VgDYAlQaQoD*veMdy2fBSyUEBdMP5ijtA!o8LkfhaDLA*TPZo TNFUhU3z8Lz8QNVzRRIaSyWsEqU2geaPyF94gp2UsVTyWR0Xv3 LoepRQTWGCPdNfWVqxdqk4F3ahYgU/New%20Diamond%20seat4.jpg?dc=4675394355916884338[/img]

Sounds like a good plan I hope mine lasts as well.

Mike

Comment

Mine is going to be running for a long time, Even if I have a complete meltdown I have enough spares I can have my bike running in 1-2 days

Comment

Suzi will be on the road shortly on my end, also. She is undergoing a Suzuki-Davidson Shock Morph that will soon be complete. I could not justify, nor shell out the $350.00 for the original-replacement air shocks on the heavy Suzy GK. So $50.00 later, and an afternoon drilling a stripped upper shock mount out to replace them, the HD shocks are installed and all I am doing now is trying to figure the best place to put the "t" fitting for the air lines. I have also installed a oil temp guage, new front tire, re-wired some electrical accessories, and stainless braided brake lines all the way around. One leaky valve cover gasket to change and Suzy will be ready. She has 50,204 miles on her now, and like Nicks, runs well. Spring is here!! :twisted:

Comment

Re: 50,000 miles, 4 years

Originally posted by Nick Diaz

So, I'm looking forward to another wonderful 50,000 miles out of this bike in the next four years. Folks, ride your bikes -- that's the best way to keep them running. Use it or lose it.............So, GS owners, we're the owners of excellent motorcycles that will keep on running in spite of us. Let us continue to cherish them ----

and ride the hell out of them!
          Great post, Nick, and even greater advice. 50,000 in 4 living in Maryland, with a serious crash in the middle, is an impressive (and enviable) accomplishment. It shames me.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Nick,
            It's a good feeling to get your money's worth on something now-a-days. Your maintenance strategy/schedule sounds alot like mine, except I don't take mine to a mechanic because I only know one that I trust (and he only works on old Brit bikes :roll: ). I hope I have the same luck with mine as you have had (except for the deer incident) I plan on keeping it for a long time as it only has 17K on it...

Comment

50,000 in 4 living in Maryland, with a serious crash in the middle, is an impressive (and enviable) accomplishment.

Thanks, Don. The deer crash didn't affect my total bike mileage, since it occurred in late December, 2001. I had the bike on the road by the end of March, 2002, just in time for the riding season to get started. I only missed two or three group rides altogether.

2003 was a terrible year in the Mid-Atlantic because of the amount of rain we got. In 2003 my total mileage on the GK was about 11,000. There were many spring weekends that were total washouts. Plus, I spent the month of July in Sweden; no GK there.

12,500 miles per year is not an inordinately high number of miles. Many "ironbutts" out there put on 20,000 miles or more per year. Still, it's a good number, which is consistent throughout my GS ownership.

My first GS season was 1986, when I bought a GS850 in April. 2003 was my 18th GS season, with a total of about 210,000 miles. Divide that by 18 and you get a bit less than 12,000 annual miles. It's consistent throughout.

I guess the main reasons for my relatively high annual mileage are the following, not necessarily in any order:

1. Fairing and lowers. These extend the riding season substantially, making it quite comfortable to ride for an extended number of miles, with the temperature in the low 40's. On my first 850 I had a Plexifairing III, a very protective windshield. Also, I have an excellent seat for my tush, which allows me to stay on the saddle as long as my Gold Wing friends do. Good equipment means long, comfortable days on the saddle, and lots of smiles per mile.

2. Riding season in Mid-Atlantic States is longer than that in New England or the Midwest. Our roads around here are terrific, a real pleasure to ride.
              Many are windy mountain roads; the Blue Ridge Parkway is just 140 miles from my house. Country roads in West Virginia, Virginia, PA, and MD abound.

3. I live in a rural area, so that getting anywhere means mileage. The benefit of that is that it's easy to ride 20 miles at a time, thus warming up the engine enough to get rid of internal pollutants. This means long engine and exhaust life.

4. I have a great group of friends to ride with, an unorganized bunch of old friends, and not-so-old. Attila and Energizer Bunnies "belong" to this group, as does GSR editor Dan Bard. We get together often and ride for many miles, whether on day rides, weekenders, and longer tours. It's easy to put on the miles when a group plans an activity, a trip, a run to a distant yummy restaurant or diner. I usually end up leading a good number of these rides, which means I plan the ride ahead of time, to make sure I know where I'm going, that the roads are in good shape, etc. So I end up doing a given ride twice or more... Sometimes backward!

I'm a very lucky guy, as I start my 35th season on two motorized wheels.

Nick

Comment

Excellent story. Gald to see you enjoy the GS so much and that it gives such great service.

Comment

I agree with Nick that some of the know problems with the GS can fixate people a bit too much. The problems with my bike have either been just sheer age related (26 years) or really due to simple failres of electrical componenets due to age. If you perform routine maintenance and do a few of the electrical modifications no reason to worry.

I have always gotten home on the GS, even when one ignition coil went and I rode home at legal speeds two up with camping gear on for a few hundred kms on 2 cylinders. Even when another coil went the other week and took out half of the electronic igition I got home. Compare that with modern bikes....

Comment

You got that right, Saaz. I neglected to say that yet another reason for my relatively high annual mileage is that the GK is seldom if ever down. It's always ready to go! What a reliable motorcycle. A great "only bike" for cheapskates like me who can afford to have only one in the garage.

Nick

Comment

That is great Nick...that goes to show you what religiously performed maintenance does for a well-built bike (and its' wanderlust driven rider)!

Hap

Comment

Nick,
                        Very impressive!!
                        Your a inspiration.
                        Charlie

Comment

Working...
                        X