case guards or frame sliders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

case guards or frame sliders?

i have an 1981 gs 750. just got done polishing the cases and attaching motor emblems. so i figure i might want to protect them! do the case guards interfere at all with ground clearance or block the view of my pretty new cases/emblems? hiperform.com has frame sliders (i have them on my hawk) and he can custom size them ( once i tell him how long) to the GS. has anyone used these before? can anyone see pros or cons? thanks!

do the case guards interfere at all with ground clearance or block the view of my pretty new cases/emblems?
    They will reduce cornering clearance That's why the cases don't hit with the bike laying on it's side, the guards simply stick out farther. I don't have a GS with guards to tell you how much they will interfere, however. If you regularly drag parts without the guards, I would say don't get them as it will only get worse and sticking a guard into the ground hard will likely put you down.

The guards should not block the view of your cases, they are only a hoop of tubing sticking out sideways in front of the cases.

As for sliders, to me they look all wrong on an 80's vintage bike. They can do a good job protecting expensive parts, but I think they would look out of place on your GS. As with a lot of things, in the eye of the beholder...

Mark

Comment

thanks for your advice Mark. i've never had a bike with case guards or with cases that stick out as far as the GS! i do drag the pegs often. maybe i'll just take my chances as far as the guards go.

Comment

Danger?

There's one school of thought that says that case guards are dangerous because, if the bike goes down, it will be much more likely to slide faster and further than otherwise. This is considered dangerous because it would make it more difficult for approaching vehicles to swerve around it (and the pilot) and avoid a collision.

I don''t know if any studies have been done that would support that idea but it does seem plausible. :?

By the way, I do have them on my bike. :roll:
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
        X