Putty inside my carbs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putty inside my carbs!

OK I knew I might be surprised with what I could discover when I rebuilt my first carburetor. First four actually. But what the hell is this? Someone has caked on some putty/cement like JB Weld over the hole that leads to the choke located in the carb main body in the CV chamber. The carburetor parts dip has done a nice job of removing the cement. The hole and the area around it looks like someone may have machined this area before. Nothing else looks fishy, and now I know why the choke worked so crappy. But now I need to ask if anyone knows why it was there in the first place? I thought maybe it was just that one carb, but after pulling off the other three CV boot caps, the choke holes are all puttied closed.

On a similar note, it appears that in my haste to clean the small parts that I put part of the starter plunger (choke) in the parts cleaner. I had not noticed the gasket type stuff around the pin that remains inside the carb body. Needless to say that gasket stuff is toast. Where can I buy this part. It is not in my rebuild kit! Is it absolutely necessary that I replace it?

Patrick
    1980 GS850GT

What?

I read your post three times and I can't, for the life of me, figure any single part of it.

I wonder what's going on
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

try here for a full set of orings, if you are cleaning your carbs then you should replace all your orings while your are at it.

ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

you can't order the choke plunger or most of the other stuff that doesn't come with the carb kits separately. i ended up going to a salvage yard.

Comment

It is the hole to the right, sort of in the corner (not the one with the carb cleaner straw stuck in it). That thing is totally pluged with a hard JB Weld type substance. (this is not a picture of my carb, but it does show where the mystery fix was applied.)

Comment

I have a digital picture but nowhere to publish it so that I can posit it. It clearly shows a carb with the stuff on it and one that I have cleaned. Can anyone help? I will email the photo if need be.
            Patrick

Comment

register here for free

ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thanks Ryan. I will checl out that link. I found this one so here it is. I stuck a straw in the clean one as a visual fron the top view, but it is a clear hole now, even though it looks like it has somting in it in this shot.
                Patrick

Comment

Linky no workee...

Hey, you're in maryland too!!
                  Silver spring here!!!

Dm of mD

Comment

Detman,
                    I am in College Park. I can email the pictures to anyone interested. It looks like you have your hands full with your own carbs. Wish I could help. I plan on finishing my rebuild using the directions on this site, and I will not be reapplying any foreign substance that plugs the choke since no one replied and said, "yeah that?s a great idea. Choke is so overrated."
                    Anyhow when I get her going, it is my first bike. Id like to ride with someone. And, It?s would be nice to know someone who has the same GS issues and appreciation.
                    Patrick

Comment

Heya man!!
                      Yes, my hands are slightly full with my carbs but I should be done hopefully by this weekend if my predictions are correct.
                      After I'm done maybe I can swing by next weekend and give you a hand with your carbs and lend a little of my experience. I'll bring my manuals and logbook with me too. I'll email ya.

Dm of mD

Comment

I am in the process of cleaning the carbs on my 80 GS850 as well, and I almost threw the parts to the choke in the bucket as well, until I saw that rubber piece on the end. I just cleaned it by hand. I think you are talking the same if you mean the part in picture 41 just where the smallest "needle part" goes into the carb. Are we talking the same?? I will check my IPB tonight for a part number.[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X