• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another charing question

Bike is a 1982 GS1100GK

Battery is less than a year old Walmart variety

Reg/Rect less than 1 year old

uncontrollalled variable I have jumped some wires coming from the stator due to poor connecter (meltdown)

Situation charged battery last weekend. Friday morning bike started great and I road it 200 miles no problems. Great day great bike performace. This morning battery is slow, I need to put on a quick charge before I take my monthly trip to the jewelry store.

Seeking guidnce. Numbers look good when I use a meter on it when it is rtunning but something must be amiss.

RG

Battery

Something is draining the battery, either externally or internally. A couple of ways to isolate the problem.
    1. Fully charge the battery and leave it disconnected from the bike for a day or two then check the charge level to see if it's the battery.
    2. With the ignition switch off, disconnect the battery positive lead and insert your ammeter in series. Check to see if you have current drain with the ignition switch off. You will have to use the milliamp scale on your meter to detect this.

Comment

Put a volt meter on it to see if it is still charging. GK do you have a radio attached?? I have a newer style radio dig display, removalble face. I f I leave it connected for 3-4 days without riding I will have a LOW battery. I am fortunate to still have a kicker on my 850

Comment

another charging question

I can leave the batterry in the bike withoput running it for a week and all seems fine so I'm thinking the battery is allright. I suspect something erratic is taking place when I run it.

Since I put in some jumper wires with clamps instead of hard wirining it in I wonder if the vibtation of running sometimes interfere with there performance.

Trust me to pursue all assigned tasks.

FYI No radio to blame.

RG

Comment

Working...
        X