Chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chains

How do I tell if it's an O-ring chain? This is the chain I can get from JCWhitney:

If this isn't one, where can I get one?

If I'm gonna be replacing, might as well replace the best!

I don't think that's an O-ring chain. It's too cheap & there's some 'adspeak' in the description. Cheap chain isn't a good choice! Get a quality O-ring chain made by a reputable company, like RK or DID. They are available online from Dennis Kirk, MAW & many other sources.
    Don't forget new sprockets!

Comment

or get a shaftie!!!!! EVIL LOL!! :twisted:

Comment

I'll admit that my techinical savvy on this issue is limited,...

...however, this is my first bike, and at this point I'd much rather have superior handling to HP.

Just like my taste in cars, I have a more european sensibility; get to speed and stay there.

Comment

Re: Chains

I just took a look at your addy. that isnt an O ring chain, it is a sealed chain, but not O ring. I bought one of those from Whitney a few years ago. It lasted a week before it was stretched/worn out. Admittedly, I used it on a 750 and not a 450, but it still should have lasted better than that. I would go to Dennis Kirk and buy an RK "O" Ring chain. Considering the milage on your bike, you may be able to get by with the sprockets that are on it, but also considering the cost of an "O" ring chain, I would bite the bullet and buy new sprockets also. A pair of sprockets will set you back about $50 and the "O" ring chain will be about $100.

Count the teeth on your sprockets to order the correct number of teeth.
          Count the number of pins in your chain to order the correct number of links. (if you order different toothed sprockets, then you may need a different chain length.)

Earl

Earl

Originally posted by UncleMike
          How do I tell if it's an O-ring chain? This is the chain I can get from JCWhitney:

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

If this isn't one, where can I get one?

If I'm gonna be replacing, might as well replace the best!
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

What Earl said.
            Also get the highest tensile strength chain you can buy. The better metal reduces the chain stretch over a given period of use.
            You might want to think about an "X-ring" chain in which the O-ring is an X in cross-section. This is said to trap lubricant better and reduce friction over that of a regular O-ring.
            Many people like the lubricating properties of chain-wax as opposed to regular chain lube. Just make sure you lube the chain on a regular basis and keep the rear wheel correctly aligned and the chain properly tensioned.

Harrison

Comment

Working...
            X