Twisting cranks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twisting cranks?

Does anyone know the engine serial numbers of the engines that the factory started welding the cranks in the mid 82 year or how to find out? I wonder if my GS1100L has the welded crank or not. 8) [/b]

didnt someone recently post something about that. I once read that a couple of the welds could be seen by looking under the ignition cover. it doesnt make sense though because there is no oil in that area. maybe another plate or something???. You have to do a lot of wild riding and power shifting to twist a crank from what i understand. One race shop told me that the secret to NOT twisting the crank is to back off the throttle a bit slower when the traps are passed.

Comment

You might be right Scotty. I figure i should have twisted my crank by now.

Maybe cause I'm on a 1/8 track and go through the lights in 3rd or just shifing into 4th gear 100 ft before the lights sometimes

I like to know what gear their in when it happens. I think 5th gear is a overdrive ratio and may have something to do with it.
      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I think it was looking behind the clutch you could see the crank thro and see if it was welded

Comment

Crank Twist

I not really worried about twisting it since mine is a cruiser really. I just would like to know without taking the motor apart.

Comment

From negine number 102893 onwards
            Dink

Comment

Twist an Shout!

I don't know how you know that but "You Da Man".

Comment

Re: Twist an Shout!

Originally posted by Quickboat
                Dink was born wearing a helmet QuickBoat. He knows more about motorcycles than he does his own land! And that's saying something for an Aussie

Comment

Twisted Sister

Hey thanks for the help. My ser. no. is 105694 so I am safe. Cant wait til the weather warms up!

Comment

Re: Twist an Shout!

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                    Originally posted by Quickboat
                    Dink was born wearing a helmet QuickBoat. He knows more about motorcycles than he does his own land! And that's saying something for an Aussie
                    I suspect you could be right Mark

Dom once called him a walking encyclopedia when it came to bikes

Comment

I think the weld on the cranks was a partila one, perhaps not as good as a full weld by someone who knows performance motors. Anyway, best not to worry!

Comment

It was my impression that they welded the cranks on the 16 valve motors only...Quickboat has a 8 valve motor so the crank may not be welded.

Hap

Comment

Only in $ valve motors?

Well Dink, is he right about the four valve motors?

Comment

The "82" GS 1100 "L" is a 16 valve engine. If it were a GS 1100 "GL" then it would be an 8 valve, if I remember correctly

Comment

L vs GL

What is the difference between the L and GL models? I don't have "16 valve" written anywhere on the bike. I did adjust the valves years ago but don't remember what it had. Any other wat to tell from the outside? BTW you guys are a great help, I appreciate the input.

Comment

Working...
                              X