tappet clearance ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tappet clearance ???

I have and GS650GL and am trying to check/adjust the valves. This bike has 14,000 miles on it and I don't think the valves have ever been adjusted on it. Using my craftsman feeler gauge, the smallest ( .05 ) wouldn't not fit in any of the clearances. So, I paid $30 for the suzuki gauge. Well, I couldn't get the .02 mm in any of the clearances. I have the suzuki service manual for the bike and I am checking the clearance as stated in the manual. If I check when the cam in not in the correct position, I can get the .02 mm in some of them.

Do you guys think that its possible that all the valves are too tight or do I have to be doing something wrong?

The bike has not been run in 10 years.

For my shim adjustable valves the clearance is to be 0.001" to 0.003". The thinnest feeler gauge I could find was 0.002", so I adjusted my shims to give a clearance of 0.002" to 0.003". Most of mine were too tight. As the bike ages/runs the valve wears into its seat causing the shim clearance to tighten up.

Be sure to check with the cam lobe straight up in the air.

I would try removing some of the shims and moving a thinner one in place of a thicker one to see if the clearance opens up as it should. I think most of my tight ones had to move down 0.05 to 0.10mm in thickness to get the clearance right.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I switched a 2.65 with a 2.70 this morning. Now, I could get the .07 gauge in. Looks like its time to order some shims.

Comment

Clearances can get tighter over time, particularly on the exhaust side due to the valve recessing a little into the head. Clearances do not always get looser! If it makes you feel any better, once you get it right and the bike has a few miles on it, the clearances stabilise and don't chnage for ages.

Tight valves mean burnt valves...bad news.

Comment

Working...
        X