WHICH EXHAUST SHOULD I USE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHICH EXHAUST SHOULD I USE?

Hey Guys--I'm considering putting a new exhaust system on my 1980 GS850GT. The current set of pipes have a couple small rust through holes and appear to have had the baffles punched through by the previous owner. It is quite a bit louder than other GS850's that I have heard. I have been looking at the available replacement pipes for it and it seems that I can get a set of made to fit replacements for the mufflers only and not replace the headers or I can pull the whole thing off and put on a 4 into 1 system. However, the 4 into 1 should not hit my Vetter bags.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? I want a system that sounds very smooth and quiet and DOES NOT sound like a crotch rocket!
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Terry

Suggest researching Vance & Hines Street Megaphone exhaust system.

Comment

Sounds like you want to go stock then Terry. There are at least two stock systems in usable condition on ebay right now for 850's that I just saw last night. The other option is to have your holes welded and fix the baffles.

I use a V&H megaphone 4 into 1 like Rudi recommended and I am quite sure it shouldn't interfere with your bags but may prove to be a little louder than you want. And it will definitely make it sound like a super bike. That's part of the whole point of them. Even the quietest ones will be louder than stock and will give it that super bike sound.

Me, I like that But I really think it sounds like you want to go stock. Then you wont have to worry about re-jetting then either.

Comment

MArk makes agood point about re-jetting.
        The V&H systems reccomend going to larger jets.
        I just bought a new system,V&H system to replace my old Kerker.
        I also remember reading on the isntructions on the 850 you may have to drill a hole for the rear mount.
        As to sound, it's really not that loud until it starts to rev, like about 4-5000 is when it really opens up.

Plus it's a 4>1, which will leave the left side of your bike "empty".
        I'd also find out if it clears your bags.

In the for sale section, someone had a system off an 1150.
        I'm not sure if it will fit your 850, the spacing may be different.
        Ask Dink.he may know, or Earl, or just post a question in the tech section if it will fit.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I do not want to have to rejet if I don't have to and since there are some new replacement custom fit pipes at Dennis Kirk I may just go with them. It looks like they would exactly fit onto the existing system with no cutting and fitting. Hopefully they will give me the low sweet sound that I am looking for also.
          Thanks Again!!
          Terry

Comment

Working...
          X