Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Sportster 1200s have a chain?

Hi all,
    I just received a pair of shocks from a next to new XLH 1200 and one has a light misting of oil on it. Soooo, I'm trying to figure out the most likely source of the oil. It's not much oil, just enough to notice some fluff stuck to the shock. These are Showa shocks, I'm kind of let down by the level of chroming on the springs compared to the shock body but oh well...

Would it be:
    a) engine leak?
    b) shock leak, probably only one tank of gas burnt in bike when taken off
    c) chain oil
    d) all of the above :twisted:

Thanks, Steve

Good question, In 1991 the Sportster changed from a chain drive to a belt drive.

If it's the right side shock it may of come from the air filter housing if the Harley tax was paid. The air cleaner backing plate bolts have a hole in them that vents the engine into the air cleaner that drips oil on the crossover pipe too and may blow back to the rear of the bike when your moving.

or letter D

Half the fun riding this real MAN's bike is there's always something to do or clean.

If you ain't eating bugs when your riding then your not riding a Harley
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Good question, In 1991 the Sportster changed from a chain drive to a belt drive.
      Jake, are you sure of that? I have seen custom street trackers (http://www.mulemotorcycles.com/index.php3) that use new crate sportster motors and they definitely have chain drives. I am just wondering if you have your models mixed up, because I thought the sportster was still chain drive. But I am not a Harley guy at all, so I could have easily missed the change... :?

Mark

Comment

well at least they won't rust
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

hmmn, my initial thought was belt, however they are chain driven still, according to the HD's website.

~Adam

Comment

That's good news. Now I need to make up some 1mm thick bushings as the eyes are 12 mm instead of 10 mm.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Chain primary (engine to gear box) belt secondary (gearbox to wheel).

You can get chain conversions for them because the belts are not very drag worthy....

Many sportsters have chains.

Many Harleys ooze oil

I wouldn't worry too much about it Steve. Oil is good for what ails ya.

-=Tim=-

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
                Jake, are you sure of that? I have seen custom street trackers (http://www.mulemotorcycles.com/index.php3) that use new crate sportster motors and they definitely have chain drives. I am just wondering if you have your models mixed up, because I thought the sportster was still chain drive. But I am not a Harley guy at all, so I could have easily missed the change... :?

Mark
                From the factory they are belt drive but racer's install the chain for strenght and plus you can change the gearing alot easy'er do to more sprockets on the market as compared to number of pulley's and it's cheaper too. If you are breaking a drive belt then it may be adjusted to loose causing it to snap straight or maybe a road rock has got caught between the pully and belt at one time weaking the belt. I still got the factory belt on mine with 22K miles and alot of trips to the track with no problems. Once you get it adjusted right you you won't have to touch it for thousands and tousands of miles and I should know cause I have'nt.
                1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
                X