Coils and HT leads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils and HT leads

Is it possible to remove the moulded-in HT leads from my GS1000 coils without damaging the coils? I want to replace the leads but don't want to replace the coils...yet!
    Anyone else tried this successfully...let me know quick before I get the pliers out?!?

Thanks
    Yoshi

Don't think so, although I never tried it. You can cut the HT-leads, leaving about two or three inches of old wire stick out of the coils. There are connectors, on wich you can connect the new leads. I suppose you can get them in most shops that sell car parts. This works for cars, but I'm not sure if it is advisable for motorbikes.

Comment

i did i successfully on my old kawa--the connections were screw type affairs but they are NOT supposed to come off if i remember my original coils from the gs1100 could not come off. are your wires bad or is it just the plug caps that need replacement??

AND JO JO THANKS FOR THE CARB PHOTOS

Comment

I'm getting some new plug caps tomorrow - they are cheap enough after all. However, I'm concerned that the HT leads may have be past their best after 24 years. I've already cut them back about 1/2 inch to make sure the caps make a good connection. I'll try out the caps and see if it makes any difference.

Comment

I found a wire connector in I think Dennis Kirk catalog that you can use to connect two HT leads together (cut the old 1s, but not all the way, leave a small stub and connect on new wires with caps.)
          They are a double screw style. I think they fit 7mm wires but I am not sure. they are around 5 bucks for each connector though.
          I just ended up buying used coils for a CBR600F3 coils off of ebay for less dough. and thier wires are replacable (screw on connectors) already. did I mention the wires and molded in caps are red. needed to use some creative mounting though.
          wiring was no problem. it should be a snap when its time to replace wires next time around. hope this helps.

Comment

Replacing coil wires

From my experience coils seldom go bad but wires deteriorate after just a few years. Why Suzuki glues the wires into the coils I'll never know but they can be replaced. First cut off the wires flush at the coil. Next you need to dig out the remaining wire that's inside. You might try using a small drill bit and drill several holes around the insulator part of the wire. Stay away from the center, there is a post inside and you don't want to damage it. You may need to take a thin blade of some sort to scrape all the inslulator and glue out of the hole. Now buy some new wires of the same diameter and silicone them in. This has saved me a lot of money in the past and has smoothed out some real rough running engines.

Axel

Comment

Re: Replacing coil wires

Originally posted by axel
              From my experience coils seldom go bad but wires deteriorate after just a few years. Why Suzuki glues the wires into the coils I'll never know but they can be replaced. First cut off the wires flush at the coil. Next you need to dig out the remaining wire that's inside. You might try using a small drill bit and drill several holes around the insulator part of the wire. Stay away from the center, there is a post inside and you don't want to damage it. You may need to take a thin blade of some sort to scrape all the inslulator and glue out of the hole. Now buy some new wires of the same diameter and silicone them in. This has saved me a lot of money in the past and has smoothed out some real rough running engines.

Axel
              AXEL
              YOU WOULDNT HAPPEN TO BE AXEL ANDERSON FROM RIVERHEAD LONG ISLAND???

Comment

Working...
              X