Smoke out of the Crankcase Breather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke out of the Crankcase Breather

I've got an 80 GS850G with 32K miles on it. I installed pod filters and, new 132.5 Mains, raised the needles and it runs great now. the only thing is I've got a lot of smoke coming out of the breather hole on top of the cam cover. My plugs are dry. Also, I've run a hose off the breather down behind the swingarm pivot with the battery overflow hose and carb over flow hoses. Should I do something else with it since there's no airbox?

Thanks

Holy cow!! I did the same thing this past weekend. My hose is routed to the same area too!! I think we need to put some kind of filter on there for when it breathes in....

Dm of mD

Comment

K&N at least used to supply (and still makes) a clamp on breather hose filter. I think you can still find them on www.denniskirk.com Some light smoke drifting out is normal since hot oil emits some smoke.

Comment

That hose is an exhaust. It does not breathe in. Howwever, if there is much oily smoke, discharging oil mist onto your rear tire is not a good idea.

Earl

Originally posted by Detman101
        Holy cow!! I did the same thing this past weekend. My hose is routed to the same area too!! I think we need to put some kind of filter on there for when it breathes in....

Dm of mD
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

There should be very very little smoke coming out of that breather tube. I had that condition on my GS1000E and it turned out to be a cracked piston. "Blow-By", as it's called, is when there is a compression loss past the rings which builds positive pressure in the crankcase. That is what you are seeing, blow-by. I would do a compression test first thing. It's very easy and tells you much about the health of the engine. You may have worn rings or a cracked piston. If you allow this condition to persist, it will destroy your engine. Blow-by emmisions destroy oil faster than pouring acid into your crankcase. This is the leading cause of pre-mature engine failure.

Good luck.

Comment

You know when you see a truck spool up at a tractor pull and there's a plume of white smoke pouring out near the engine? I think that's what they call blow by.

Steve

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll do the compression check and also round up a filter. I suppose I'll have to clean that thing every once in a while as well.
              Detman, good luck with the leaking carb. I'll let you know how mine works out.

Comment

Thanks Slider. I think that I will just reroute that hose further to the right side of the bike and add a filter element to it. Mine isn't oily it's watery so I have faith that I'm safe.

Thanks,
                Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                  Thanks Slider. I think that I will just reroute that hose further to the right side of the bike and add a filter element to it. Mine isn't oily it's watery so I have faith that I'm safe.

Thanks,
                  Dm of mD
                  I ran my tube into a T with a short vertical piece of hose plugged on the bottom to catch liquids with the filter attached to the rear horizontal section. Is that clear as mud? I also just for added strorage found a plastic container that fit into the vacancy left by the removed air box and zip tired in to the chassis. Comes in kind of handy.

Comment

Check the things your going to check but no mater what the outcome be sure to get one of the filters that goes on it. it's just a small (round usually) filter that looks similar to an air filter in construction but is smaller and like Earl said it lets air out not into your engine. It connects with a small piece of rubber hose and hose clamps. They have a stock element that they came with if you want to track one down or you can use the K&N model that other told you about and I just described. I like the K&N because you can just loosen one screw about 2 times a year and take it off and clean it really good with some carb cleaner and then put it back on.

Comment

Working...
                    X