gs1100E forks on gs1100G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100E forks on gs1100G?

I have a really clean set of GS1100E forks and was wondering if I can install them on a GS1100G without a lot of problems. Advantages appear to be that the air loading is bridged so I don't have to worry about getting the two sides equal (nearly impossible) and the E forks have adjustable rebound.

Anyone know if the triple tree offset is much different? I guess I could leave the tripple trees on and just use the tubes from the E forks if the width and fork tube diameter are the same.

Will the wheel/calipers/fender work?

Thanks

Re: gs1100E forks on gs1100G?

The fork tube diameters will be the same, so there is no real reason to change the triple trees. I dont believe there is any difference in the rake of the forks between the two models. The wheels, calipers, rotors, etc should all bolt right up. (they did for me and I basically made the same changes you intend. Just look at the lower fork tubes and note the mounts for the brake calipers. It will be obvious if they are any different between the two forks.

Also, I dont put any air in my forks. Seems to save the seals and the rebound and dampening is more sensitive.

Earl

Originally posted by rangert
    I have a really clean set of GS1100E forks and was wondering if I can install them on a GS1100G without a lot of problems. Advantages appear to be that the air loading is bridged so I don't have to worry about getting the two sides equal (nearly impossible) and the E forks have adjustable rebound.

Anyone know if the triple tree offset is much different? I guess I could leave the tripple trees on and just use the tubes from the E forks if the width and fork tube diameter are the same.

Will the wheel/calipers/fender work?

Thanks
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks, I never considered not putting air in the forks. That is an example of how valuable this form can be. I'll let you know how it works out.

Ron

Comment

I may be wrong, but I believe the GS1100E forks have a leading front axle, like the ones on the "L" model. The GS1000G, the standard, has the axle directly at the bottom of the forks, held by a bolt-on clamp.

If that is the case, if the forks are different, then the front fender won't be compatible. You may have to get a different fender. The bolt pattern on the fender will be the same, except the angle of the bracket is different.

Nick

Comment

I have a 1982 GS1100G that has "L" forks on the front -- the guy who sold me the bike (which I bought for parts) said the only problem he discovered was that the "L" forks are longer and so the front brake caliper wouldn't reach the mounts...

Don't know if there are any other issues, but it looks as though the front fender is the same as my '83 "G" (and it's mounted). I don't know if it's the "L" fender or not, but it matches the rest of the bike so I'm guessing it's the "G" fender.

Hope this is helpful!

Steve 8)

Comment

Planecrazy, the calipers on the standard models and the "L" models are identical. How can it "not reach the mounts"?

I accidentally bought an "L" front fender for my GK when I was rebuilding it after the deer mishap. I had installed GS850 forks, standard ones. The "L" fender did not fit. The standard fender does. That's because of the position of the axle in relation to the forks.

Again, the only problem I see is the fender. I know this from experience.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
              Planecrazy, the calipers on the standard models and the "L" models are identical. How can it "not reach the mounts"?

I accidentally bought an "L" front fender for my GK when I was rebuilding it after the deer mishap. I had installed GS850 forks, standard ones. The "L" fender did not fit. The standard fender does. That's because of the position of the axle in relation to the forks.

Again, the only problem I see is the fender. I know this from experience.

Nick
              The answer, Mr Diaz, is elementary. The "L" fork the former owner put on is slightly longer than the original ... the brake line was simply too short to reach the caliper mounts (and still is -- he never finished the bike). The original forks were pitted and that's why he picked up the replacement.

Unfortunately I cannot provide more info than that, because I don't know whether the "L" fork he acquired was off the same year 1100, or even off an 1100 at all... For all I know (and I suspect you probably do) an '82 "G" fork and an '82 "L" fork are identical, but since I don't know much about this bike's history I will probably not be able to assertain the "new" fork's original designation ... and besides, I really don't care since it's not one of the parts I'm going to be using off that bike...

Regards,
              Steve 8)

Comment

For all I know (and I suspect you probably do) an '82 "G" fork and an '82 "L" fork are identical,

No, they are not identical. As I said before, the forks on standard bikes have the axle at the bottom. The forks on the "L" models have a leading front axle.

The answer, Mr Diaz, is elementary. The "L" fork the former owner put on is slightly longer than the original ... the brake line was simply too short to reach the caliper mounts (and still is -- he never finished the bike). The original forks were pitted and that's why he picked up the replacement.

This does answer my question. Why the "Mr Diaz" crap? Just Nick to you, if you don't mind.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                  For all I know (and I suspect you probably do) an '82 "G" fork and an '82 "L" fork are identical,

No, they are not identical. As I said before, the forks on standard bikes have the axle at the bottom. The forks on the "L" models have a leading front axle.

This does answer my question. Why the "Mr Diaz" crap? Just Nick to you, if you don't mind.

Nick
                  My my you are sensitive, Nick ... there was nothing derogatory implied by the use of your last name, although the posts you put up in response seem awfully condescending to me (this isn't the first time I've picked up on that in some of your responses), and that certainly isn't necessary.

Maybe I thought it was obvious (apparently) but when I posted "that for all I knew the "G" and "L" model forks for the same year were identical" I was referring to the length of the forks, not the way the axle is positioned -- sorry for the vagueness.

As for answering your question, both my original post and my response to yours answered your question, but I"ll explain it again with more detail so as to be absolutely clear. The "L" fork he used was longer than the original "G" fork, so the caliper could not be mounted without first disconnecting the brake line and replacing it with a longer one (which he never did), so when I bought the bike the caliper was hanging from the original brake line.

Please lay off the "I am all knowing" attitude. We all know that you are very knowledgeable when it comes to GS's and your input is appreciated, but not when it comes at the expense of other peoples' feelings. You don't need to "knock down the other guy" to make your point, thanks.

Steve 8)

Comment

Whatever, Planecrazy, Steve, or whatever your name is.

Mr. Diaz

Comment

Working...
                    X