Could my stator be loose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could my stator be loose?

OK, I thought about posting this a while ago but I didn't....maybe because I was afraid of what might be the answer. Anyway, here it goes.

I had the stator cover off during the winter, and tried to get the stator off the cover by unscrewing the three screws that held it on (that was before I learned how to disconnect the wires - long story) Anyway, I ended up using an impact screwdriver to try to get those little suckers out (don't laugh please) and at about half way out, one of them broke and jammed itself into the screw hole. The other one broke and came clean off (the lower half is still in the hole securely) And I just stopped trying to loosen the third screw and left it about one full turn out of the hole (if that).

I am wondering if it is possible for the stator to jar loose. I took ahold of the stator and tried to jar it, and it wasn't moving one bit, so I just screwed the side cover back on and said screw it (no punn intended). I don't hear any rattling when I start the bike or ride it, and the battery charges just fine.

I am planning on doing the electrex reg/rect and stator upgrade next year, so I just wonder if this thing will last me until then, and not become loose over the summer. What do you all think?

Thanks,

Chad
    Columbus,OH 1978 GS550E

YES, it can come loose. I had mine rewound and installed by a mechanic who failed to use thread locker on the bolts, and they came loose. The bolt head made an awful noise as it hit the spinning rotor. Fortunately, I was only a few blocks from home, so I pulled it apart and repaired it.

In your case, it appears you have broken bolts, so you MUST remove them, as it is only a matter of time before the stator body will shift and begin to grind against the rotor and, being that loose, will probably jam at some point in time,and that could cause major damage.

Even if you have to grind away the head of the remaining bolt, take it off, remove the stator, then get your trusty vice grips to remove the broken pieces.

Replace the bolts with exact size replacements, and it has to be a Philips head. Hex and Allen will result in larger head size, and the head will catch on the rotor.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

stator

I'd say it might. At least tighten the third screw back that full turn you mention. If it does come off you risk damaging the rotor magnets among other things.

If you dont want to drain your oil you can lean the bike the opposite way against a wall taking care not to put too much weight on the handlebars and putting it in 1st gear. A rag on the frame tube helps catch the little oil that comes out from the stator cover. I'd advise against leaning the bike on the engine cases.

Remove that last screw if you dare, and pull off the stator. See if any of the screw threads are sticking out. Use some heat to loosen the factory loctite and find some vice grips to grab onto the protruding threads. Go tight as possible on the grips and slow. If a dremel tool is available you could try cutting a slot in the broken screw threads but it sounds like they're pretty tight and might end up stripping the slot.

If that fails a dremel would work to flatten the broken screw to drill in a small drill bit followed by an easy-out (reverse threaded bit). A punch to mark the center of the screw is neccesary to avoid having the drill bit skate across the screw off center.

Sounds like you might not have the patience to deal with this so maybe it would be easier to buy a used side cover and three screws. Couldn't be more than 50 bucks. Carter
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

The stator is under quite powerful magnetic forces, not to mention heat, so it may come loose over time. With only one screw holding it I would be a bit worried in the medium to long term!

Comment

Working...
        X