I need louder pipes any info on a 1979 gs550l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need louder pipes any info on a 1979 gs550l

like maybe drag pipes or something liek a slip on any ideas know what would work?? besides MACS 4into1 exhaust seems liek my only hope

get the mac 4 into 1 with a competion baffel you will need a stg 3 jet kit or the mac 2 into 1 should work with out a jet kit, my buddie has that and it is quite loud as well.

ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thank you, do you know how much a jet kit cost??

Comment

i just reread your post, you have a 79 with the vm carbs so you will need just need to buy some bigger main jets hopefully others can tell you what size to go, you should also have adjustable needles so you can raise them too. they don't make jet kits for your bike sorry to miss lead you but you don't need one with the types of carbs you have.

try this to help you out

check out the rest of the website they have some good info.

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

maybe you could just stick a long rod in the exhaust opening and knock the doughnut washe out of the way.

Comment

first timer: good post the web site seems really helpful but i work on cars not bike so i dont think ill attempt it ill bring it to the local shop and "take the broom"

Slopoke: but wouldnt you ahve to disconect the exhaust to get the washer out? or do you just leave it in there?

Comment

Get a good loud header for it. Call V&H (my first choice) or MAC or any that you want and ask them for the loudest header for your bike. They will give you a part number.

I also am one that doesn't care for quiet engines. I don't like it REALLY loud either but would go that way before the other

I like to listen to it SCREAM!!!!

The neighbors love me :twisted:

Comment

vance doesnt make a header for my bike or anything in that fact but MAC does i founf the whole set up for 271.00 im just trying to be cheap lol

Comment

Then you want to talk more to slopoke
                  I don't know if he was serious or not and don't know the answer to your question about his method.

I encourage the new header
                  You'll be glad you did.

Comment

yeah im going to
                    and i dont trust slopoke not until i see his mod then ill believe lol

Comment

Originally posted by 79GS550
                      yeah im going to
                      and i dont trust slopoke not until i see his mod then ill believe lol
                      Im sorry that my joking in other areas has cause you to disregard some simple advice. I have knocked out the baffel many tomes on diferent bikes. it will ususlly give you as bit more noise and no carb mods needed. i am a firm believer that this jet kit thing is a buzz word among bikers. As long as tuning the carb will be necessary with a true performance exhaust ((not just any noise maker))even with the jet kit then why spend the money . It is not a bolt on mod. tuning carbs takes effort and commitment.
                      I believer the tomfoolery is usually in the general discussion section and not in the tech section.
                      this is a pretty sacred place as i see it.

Comment

If you want to go 'old school' then drill out the baffels. My first bike was a Yamaha XS400 which soon had the 'performance' treatment. i.e. drilled baffels and tube-sock air filters (don't ask).

Drilled baffels will give you plenty of noise and also a mild performance boost. You may have to check the jetting but that's another story.

If you want to go drilling then mark out a suitable pattern on the end face of the exhaust can and drill the appropriate holes. The holes will provide easier venting of the exhaust gases and sound louder also.

Comment

slopoke: sorry buddy didnt mean for harm... i just wanted to break chops on the mod your doing and if its real i cant wait to see it... i think though im just going to buy the exhaust and "jet it" and whatever it needs of the following winter i just wanna ride now

loungeguy69: my fear is i dont want to do it and then i have to jet it b/c it aint runnign right thast all i need lol
                          but thanks for your advice everyone

Comment

Originally posted by 79GS550
                            slopoke: sorry buddy didnt mean for harm... i just wanted to break chops on the mod your doing and if its real i cant wait to see it... i think though im just going to buy the exhaust and "jet it" and whatever it needs of the following winter i just wanna ride now

loungeguy69: my fear is i dont want to do it and then i have to jet it b/c it aint runnign right thast all i need lol
                            but thanks for your advice everyone

Comment

Originally posted by loungeguy69
                              If you want to go 'old school' then drill out the baffels. My first bike was a Yamaha XS400 which soon had the 'performance' treatment. i.e. drilled baffels and tube-sock air filters (don't ask).

Drilled baffels will give you plenty of noise and also a mild performance boost. You may have to check the jetting but that's another story.

If you want to go drilling then mark out a suitable pattern on the end face of the exhaust can and drill the appropriate holes. The holes will provide easier venting of the exhaust gases and sound louder also.
                              That is awesome! I thought about doing that with my GS650 since it REALLY likes to be sans-air filter. The girlfriend offered up some pantyhose (not ones she was wearing) and I'm honestly tempted to try.

I'm thinking I might try to drill a hole or two out of the exhaust can. Hey, there are 6 there begging to be drilled, 1 or 2 won't hurt, right? My bike is behaving like it is starved for air. I think its an ORing issue. Would freeing up some space on the exhaust side be helpful? Thx.

Comment

Working...
                              X