exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust question

when I bought my bike the muffler was rusted out...One good backfire blew out all of it's guts. So now it's like stright pipes on a car. It seems to run Ok but I was wondering how it will react on the street since I havn't gotten my license and taken it any farther than the next block. I have no jet kits...just the stock jets.

I would be concerned with having the exhaust plugging itself off at the rear as the insides fall apart. One of the pipes on my 400 has a 2" hole in it near the foot peg but it isn't causing me any grief aside for carbon stains on the peg holder.

Steve

Comment

well the motor had been rebuilt since then....the pipe is clear now....just worried about not having the backpressure and if that could do any damage.

Comment

could give you a lean condition that could eventually lead to some engine damage

Comment

As long as the plugs run in the tan to brown color range, everything is fine.
          You dont want plugs that run white to ash and stay bright and clean. That would be too lean and you could hole a piston.

Earl

Originally posted by greatwhiteshark
          could give you a lean condition that could eventually lead to some engine damage
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

You may find the performance affected due to the exhaust tuning changing. This may be more flat spots than anything too bad as straight through pipes will tend to be better at a more limited power range.

Comment

the plug color will tell you what you need to know

Comment

thanx

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                  the plug color will tell you what you need to know
                  And then the cops will tell you more than you need to know.......

Loud pipes don't save lives, they pi$$ off the neighbors
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

the guy across the street has a HD Chopper....its much louder than my "geo metro with straight pipes sounding" motorcycle

Comment

Working...
                    X