GS Handlebars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS Handlebars

Are all GS handlebars the same size tubing?
    I am looking to replace the stock bars on my 82 GS650GL to something lower and wider. I found one from a 79 GS550 and one from a GS450. Would these work?

I believe that the magic number is "7/8". This is the size of the GS handlebars. Any that size will do.

Dm of mD

Comment

Almost all Jap bikes use the same size. There are only a few exceptions but for the most part your going to find them all interchangeable.

Comment

I would assume I would have clearance issues with some bars.
        would a stock set from a different model work with no problems?

Comment

Yeah your right about that part. And it is hit or miss. You have to get measurements to tell if you don't have the bars in hand and that can be tough.

Here is an example of what your asking. I put 1978 GS1000 bars on my 1982 Kawasaki KZ550C3 LTD and it worked great! But not all combinations will. Take a look ...

More pics of it here is you want:

Comment

I have a 77 GS 750 with a set of bars off of a 1981 Honda CB900 Custom and they work great and the riding position is much better and it handles good as well.

Comment

Yeah, and the Harley-heads are 1".

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                Almost all Jap bikes use the same size. There are only a few exceptions but for the most part your going to find them all interchangeable.
                I always thought that all bikes were 7/8" - except that Milwaukee monster!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                  Originally posted by Hoomgar
                  I always thought that all bikes were 7/8" - except that Milwaukee monster!
                  I believe your are 100% on that.

Comment

Handlebars

Hiya guys,

Please let me jump in here with my own handlebaer issues. I am looking to update the stock handle bars on my '82 GS650L. Last season I purchased a handle bar called GP touring--they measure 28" from tip to tip.
                    I then took it to my local shop for installation. They told me that when they installed the handle bar, there was not enough/or too much slack in the cables when the handle bars were turned to the extreme right and left. So, the shop didn't think that they would be safe. Can you point me in the right direction to find some handle bars that would update the bike (i.e. straighter bars instead of the big bends that came stock in '82)?

Comment

Whatever you do don't buy any RENTHAL dirtbike bars.
                      I went to the salvage yard and asked for a set of 7/8 drag bars for my gs750l. They gave me a set of renthal bars that have an Outer Diameter of 7/8 but the inner diameter is waaaaaaaaaaay smaller than it should be.
                      BEcause of that nothing that works stock with 7/8 bars will go on them.
                      For example...the bar end mirrors that I bought for 7/8 handlebars will not fit inside the RENTHAL bars with the stock mounting equipment that comes with them. Neither will bar end sliders! I had to fabricate my own bar end compression-mount to get the mirrors to fit.
                      Make sure you buy the 7/8 handlebar type that is stock for STREET bikes...not DIRT bikes.

May my blunder be your success story.

Good luck,
                      Dm of mD

Comment

I just put superbike bars on my 80gs1000e and couldn't be happier. They cost under $20 new at www.crc2onlinecatalog.com under controls, and they have others as well. The same bars from other places cost twice as much.

Comment

Handle Bar specs

I'm looking to replace the bars on my 81 GS850L with something close to the original. Bent my bars when I laid it down a few weeks back. Does anyone have the specs on the OEM bars (ie width, rise, pullback)? Or, does anyone know haw to measure a set of bars for that info?

Comment

GS Handlebars

Be warned,some but not all modern Jap cruisers have 1" bars.

Comment

Any 7/8" superbike bars will fit your bike.
                              I think the ones you found for a GS550 will work too.

Comment

Working...
                              X