Sync-ing the carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sync-ing the carbs

Greetings. I am new to the forum, having just recenly bought a 1980 GS850L.

I am in the process of "going through" the carbs, and they had given the previous owner some grief. FWIW, I have searched through some of the carb discussion topics and found them helpful, especially the ones about leaking carbs.

I have also reviewed the carb cleaning sequence on the website, and found it very helpful. My question is this: Will the carbs need to be synchronised again if that procedure is followed? And if so, are there any tricks/homemade gadgets one can use instead of the tools my Haynes manual recommends?

Also, if I'm reading it right, the Pilot Air/Fuel Flow mixture screw (see pictures 25-29 on the carb sequence by John Bloemer) should not be adjusted. If/when I remove them, do they screw all the way back in, or is there a setting they are supposed to be put at?

Much thanks in advance for any and all help. The website rules and has been extremely encouraging as I begin this new "relationship" with the GS850. I already have a Yamaha XS650B that has helped bring me into the world of motorcycles, and I've found a good amount of online help and support for it. So I'm pleased and excited to find that there is GS support as well.

They need to be removed to clean the carbs What you need to do is turn the screws in until they seat lightly, counting the # of turns so that they can be reset to where they were

Comment

On my 80 850L I have a steel plug in that hole, I gather from reading on this site that that was factory installed to keep emmissions in a certain range?? Does it just pop out with a bit of drilling, and then I leave it out? Thanks Jay

Comment

Yes the plug needs to be removed by drilling, DO it slow and carefully You only need to drill down about 1/4 in The plug may start spinning and come out or you may have to insert a screw and pull it out. Fill it with penatrating oil and let it soak before trying to turn the screws

Comment

When I got my GS, the screws were already taken out. How do I tell how far to screw them back in? Or does it matter?

Comment

Working...
          X