Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed bars, now 80gs1000e will not turn over, has lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed bars, now 80gs1000e will not turn over, has lights?

I just put a set of superbike bars on my 80gs1000e. After I put on the bars I was going to take it out for a test run and it will not turn over......? I have lights, signals work but it will not turn over. I thought it might be a problem with the clutch kill switch so I tried to bypass the mechanism by cutting the wires to it and splicing them together to the headlight as I have read here on the GSR, but no good. The fuses look good. I will swap them out anyways. I need to check the grounds still......any ideas? Arrrrgh!

I had that problem when I went to start 'er this spring... all I did tho was take apart the handle till I was down to wires and dink with it, didn't even cut anything. hooked it up and futzed with it till it started. I think in my case it was probably just a bad connection in the switch.

in your case tho, you might check the wires further along the circuit, as you may have accidentally yanked on them when things were hanging? may be the wires themselves?

sorry if this isn't the most helpful, best I've got!

happy spring!!!

Comment

I would check your starter button and kill switch. Those get corroded up real good sometimes and maybe yours was borderline and moving it around broke one free. My button on my Kawi had all good contacts on it but was actually corroded inside the button itself. I opened it up and cleaned and presto.

Oh, that problem happened to me when I changed my bars

Thought I would let you know that since it is what makes me say this.

Comment

Thanks guys, you've given me some hope here. I will check the units in depth and recheck everything twice. They are/were a little rusty/coroded so it sounds plausible.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
          I would check your starter button and kill switch. Those get corroded up real good sometimes and maybe yours was borderline and moving it around broke one free. My button on my Kawi had all good contacts on it but was actually corroded inside the button itself. I opened it up and cleaned and presto.

Oh, that problem happened to me when I changed my bars

Thought I would let you know that since it is what makes me say this.
          GS's are bad for corrosion on the switches etc. I've had the same problem but some time spent cleaning contacts with emory paper usually does the trick.

The 'run/stop' and starter buttons are fairly simple so you shouldn't have too much trouble taking them apart and cleaning them up. If that doesn't work then post a reply and we can work on it.

Comment

Re: Changed bars, now 80gs1000e will not turn over, has ligh

I'm not sure what you mean by "splice them to the headlight"
            The two wires that come from the clutch switch on the handlebar run into the headlight shell where they plug into connectors. You should remove the two clutch wires from that connector and install a jumper wire between the two plugs on the connector. The clutch switch wires coming from the clutch lever are left hanging loose and unused.

Earl

[quote="80gs1000e"]
            I thought it might be a problem with the clutch kill switch so I tried to bypass the mechanism by cutting the wires to it and splicing them together to the headlight as I have read here on the GSR, but no good.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Is the left hand control for the lights hard to take apart?
              My lights flick on and off because of a loose connection in there. I wanted to ask here before I tore it up and wound up not riding for another month.

Thank you,
              Dm of mD

Comment

Shouldn't be too hard. Two screws at the back hold it to the bar. After undoing those you'll see three screws holding a plate inside the housing. Remove this plate and you'll see the circuit board. You'll have to pop the turn signal/light switch off to get the board out. Once you've got it out you can attack it with contact cleaner.

Comment

Belay my last. Been a while since I did it...

There's a fourth screw under the wire bunch. Cut off the little tiewrap and you should see it after moving the wires out of the way. This screw holds the board down. Remove this screw and CAREFULLY ease the board out. There are two springs behind the board to center the light/turn signal switch so be carefull not to shoot them across the garage... 8O

Comment

And you don't have to pop the switch off. It's held into the front of the housing.

Sorry for the bad info.

Comment

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP!!!!

It all just came flooding back to me while drinking my early morning cup of tea... 8O

Unless the two way light/turn-signal switch is goo'ed in it will explode in a shower of springs and contacts. There are about half a dozen springs involved which are a nightmare to get back in the right place.

Unless you like torturing yourself just squirt a healthy dose of contact cleaner under the board without taking it out. Hopefully that should clean it up enough to work properly.

Comment

LOL!!!

This was great, it is so refreshing to see someone else do things like I do at times

It's all good man, your helping more than you know I am sure. And I think you have given him the right advice. Just hope he reads though before starting anything! 8O

:P :P :P :P

Comment

Originally posted by loungeguy69
                          FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP!!!!

It all just came flooding back to me while drinking my early morning cup of tea... 8O

Unless the two way light/turn-signal switch is goo'ed in it will explode in a shower of springs and contacts. There are about half a dozen springs involved which are a nightmare to get back in the right place.

Unless you like torturing yourself just squirt a healthy dose of contact cleaner under the board without taking it out. Hopefully that should clean it up enough to work properly.
                          Heheheh...that was funny. I'm going to take your advice and just douse it with Contact cleaner. If that doesn't work I'll buy a new control off of ebay or the junker.

Thank you hehe...
                          Dm of mD

Comment

Re: Changed bars, now 80gs1000e will not turn over, has ligh

I spliced the wires together that run to/from the headlight and left the 2 coming from the clutch lever hanging, I didn't mean to suggest I spliced them to the actual headlight......heheheh .....but I know I did a half ass job. Tonight I hope to pull the light off and do the bypass mod properly as you suggested Earl. Thanks, hope that's the problem. If not, I am going to pull a Sherlock Holmes on my entire wiring system. Cheers!

Originally posted by earlfor
                            I'm not sure what you mean by "splice them to the headlight"
                            The two wires that come from the clutch switch on the handlebar run into the headlight shell where they plug into connectors. You should remove the two clutch wires from that connector and install a jumper wire between the two plugs on the connector. The clutch switch wires coming from the clutch lever are left hanging loose and unused.

Earl

Originally posted by 80gs1000e
                            I thought it might be a problem with the clutch kill switch so I tried to bypass the mechanism by cutting the wires to it and splicing them together to the headlight as I have read here on the GSR, but no good.

Comment

Sorry for the manic posts.

As soon as my brain caught up I realized what might happen. Bad advice is worse than no advice and I didn't want anything catastrophic to happen.

Next time I'll try and wake up before posting...

Comment

Working...
                              X