Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody know what kind of acid is in naval jelly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got my tank from jester last fall, and now that its spring I'm back!! still have to clean it and seal it. I know the vinegar method is using acetic acid, but being a chemist by trade I can get anything I want! so anybody know what the best acid to eat up rust is??

good to be back on the forum, sorry to ditch y'all for the ski season!!! happy spring!!!

I seem to recall that Rustoleum (= naval jelly??) contains phosporic acid (but I am ready to be corrected).

BB

Comment

cool, I could see that...

how d'ya like this weather, eh? been out ridin yet?

Comment

Reading the label right now. You hit the nail on the head. Phosphoric acid it is.

Comment

H3PO4 aka phosphoric acid. Same stuff that's in CocaCola.

Comment

where does one get some H3PO4 aka phosphoric acid, i need to do 3 tanks (inside and outside) and i don't want to spend the big bucks on 3 creme kits, i was thinking i acid wash the tank then take the tanks to a radiator shop to have them maybe wash em out agian then coat. my buddy did this to his h1 and it seems to have worked well.

what do you guys think.

-ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Most autobody supply shops will have phosphoric acid of some sort. I was in Kragen autosupply last weekend and saw a quart of the stuff for sale.

It's not an especially strong acid - nothing like hydrochloric (muriatic) or sulfuric (the worst IMO). More like glacial acetic acid but without the stink. Just be careful to keep it out of your eyes.

Comment

Lint??

Claude

Comment

just don't eat the brown lint jelly!!

thanks guys, I think I'll give that a try!!

Comment

if i can't find any phosphoroc acid could i use some dilutied muric (hydrocloric acid). what would be a good ratio. i am just scared it will eat my tank to peices basiclly how long do you need to let sumtin sit in acid if it is heavily rusted before the rust is gone and how long would it take muric acid to destroy a tank.
                    i was also thinking about dipping my seat pan to remove what rust was left that the stiff wire brush on a angle grinder missed. any thoughts?

-ryan
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                    X