Pods n' jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods n' jets

Does anyone have any experience/opinions about Uni foam pod filters? They're half the price of K&Ns.

I have the carbs out and figured I'd go with the pods instead of putting all the stock airbox back on.

While I'm at it does anyone have a good starting point for jets? Currently I have a Mac 4-1 pipe (horrible quality but sounds nice). Main is now at 114 with needle in the middle (three down from top). No idea what the pilot jet is. Mix screws 2.5 turns out.

I was calculating a 125 main with 47.5 pilot while leaving the needle where it is.

Re: Pods n' jets

Originally posted by loungeguy69
    Does anyone have any experience/opinions about Uni foam pod filters? They're half the price of K&Ns.

I have the carbs out and figured I'd go with the pods instead of putting all the stock airbox back on.

While I'm at it does anyone have a good starting point for jets? Currently I have a Mac 4-1 pipe (horrible quality but sounds nice). Main is now at 114 with needle in the middle (three down from top). No idea what the pilot jet is. Mix screws 2.5 turns out.

I was calculating a 125 main with 47.5 pilot while leaving the needle where it is.
    If the mack pipe is not a performance pipe you may not have to change anything in the carbs. put the pods on first snd run it a bit. Read your plugs and go from there.
    speaking of cheap pods i just bought a set of emgos for about 36 dollars. I would like to know what the difference is between them and the $100.00 plus K&Ns

Comment

Re: Pods n' jets

Originally posted by slopoke

If the mack pipe is not a performance pipe you may not have to change anything in the carbs. put the pods on first snd run it a bit. Read your plugs and go from there.
      speaking of cheap pods i just bought a set of emgos for about 36 dollars. I would like to know what the difference is between them and the $100.00 plus K&Ns
      The main diff I have been told scotty is that they are junk. My mechanic told me that as well as several guys here on the forum have said it. But I don't know that first hand so I am just repeating what has been said by others. But I know that several of them know what they are talking about so that is why I swayed away from getting them myself.

Let us know how they work out for you. It would be nice if there was a low cost alternative that actually worked!

Comment

Interesting feedback on the filters. To be honest I put a pair of Uni foam pods on a KZ750 twin a few years ago and they worked ok. Granted, the K&Ns are the best available but with a budget in mind it's hard to argue against the price difference.

BTW, the Mac is a 'performance' pipe and flows nicely. It's just a low quality product. I picked mine up off ebay for $100 so it seemed like a bargain at the time. It started rusting after a month! Now I can't decide whether to have it powder coated and keep it or get a V&H or something else... It's ugly as sin but works.

Comment

i bought a set of emgos and after inpecting them and the k&n i dont know what the difference is. iam an auto tech. i have found thru the years that some brand name parts are more expensive just because your buying a name. the off brand par in almost every case performs just as well.

just my professional opinion

Comment

Thanks for the reply on the filters. I think I'm going for the Uni's just because I'm a cheap b'tard.

BTW, if you're from Venice then maybe we can converge someplace. My bike's in pieces at the mo' but it should be back together soon.

I'm dying to hook up with Scotty too....

Comment

Sorry, Naples. Brain fart.

Still not that far away...

Comment

Originally posted by rodcwer
                i bought a set of emgos and after inpecting them and the k&n i dont know what the difference is. iam an auto tech. i have found thru the years that some brand name parts are more expensive just because your buying a name. the off brand par in almost every case performs just as well.

just my professional opinion
                Ron when my bone yard said why not use the emgo filters, i said i dont use crap on my wheels. Then he showed them to me. It looks just as well made as the K&N I run on my bike now. I took them . From the recent research i have done it seems that these emgo pods are being used on some top performing road racing bikes. ????????????????? well thats what the ads said. They look fine to me. I truly cant see the diference in quality. Who knows??? really who knows????

Comment

Interesting feedback on the filters. To be honest I put a pair of Uni foam pods on a KZ750 twin a few years ago and they worked ok. Granted, the K&Ns are the best available but with a budget in mind it's hard to argue against the price difference.

BTW, the Mac is a 'performance' pipe and flows nicely. It's just a low quality product. I picked mine up off ebay for $100 so it seemed like a bargain at the time. It started rusting after a month! Now I can't decide whether to have it powder coated and keep it or get a V&H or something else... It's ugly as sin but works.
                  i didn't know that mack also made performance pipes. Can you tell me about the model numbers or something. when i bought my 1100e it had a mack 4 into 1 pipe and with or without the baffel it ran the same. then i was told by numerous folks that macks were cosmetic pipes with a good sound and not performance pipes.

So whats the story guys????

Comment

I don't know the model number but the pipe has a nice header and free-flow can. It's a very basic construction but 'looks' like it flows much better than stock. I had a jet kit installed to get the carburation corrected so it evidently provided a performance boost. 'Seat of the pants' feel shows a dramatic improvement but I haven't splurged on a dyno run.

I wouldn't recommend Mac pipes to anyone unless they're on a budget. Like I said before the quality is terrible but the effect/sound is nice.

If anyone else reads this then splurge on a V&H or similar system.

Comment

is this the pipe you have

and what part is rusting, and can you paint it with some high temp exhaust paint?

-ryan
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

My street tracker has a mack 4 into 1. i have repainted it with exhaust blACK SPRAY PAINT A COUPLE OF TIMES. iT WORKS FINE FOR ME.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                          is this the pipe you have

-ryan
                          That's it but with a black can. I've painted it twice now with different brands of high temp paint. Still gets rusty after a year or so.

Maybe I'll just get some of that exhaust wrap and cover it all up. Out of sight, out of mind... 8O

Comment

You mentioned in your first post, you plan to keep the jet needles in their same positions. If they ARE in the stock position, I would at least raise the needle 1 position (lowering the clip) if your needles are adjustable. I can't tell you how well the Uni's flow but they will allow a lot more air in than the stock air box. In fact, 1 position richer may not be enough, but it's a starting point.
                            You spend the most time riding on the needle circuit, so don't overlook it. A hot running motor will be the result.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The uni's flow pretty well, I had a set before the K&N's I have now. They do not flow as well as the K&N's though. I think the biggest difference is durability though, the foam on the UNI's will degrade after a while. As for the EMGO's, they have a paper element, and are not washable. They are disposable, like a car air filter. Other then that I don't know how well they perform.

BTW, if you keep an eye on ebay you can find K&N pods. That's how I got mine, for $50.

Comment

Working...
                              X