Turn Signal Relay failure??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signal Relay failure??

My left turn signal works fine...my right signal works...well, sporadically at best. Is this a sign that the relay is going bad or maybe just a short in a wire somewhere? I have cleaned the contacts the best I could. Any suggestions?

Thanks

It usually is a relay (flasher) going bad. But it could be a bad contact somewhere or a wire fraying. If you check all wires and contacts then it is your flasher.

Comment

Check the bulbs and make sure the grounds are good, If you have installed led bulbs they wont work with the stock flasher unit Try a new relay auto type will work fine

Comment

DO NOT buy a flasher unit from the dealer. ($40.00) The heavy duty 2 prong flasher from any autoparts store works great. Nevermind the third prong. For under $5.00 your turn signals should work fine. In fact the $40.00 Suzuki job did not fix mine with a simular problem, but the $5.00 job did.
        Just my 2-cents
        Patrick

Comment

Alright...thanks again for all the input. This site has proved invaluable to me in getting this bike up and running!!!

Comment

One side of my turn signals worked intermittently when I got the bike. While it usually blinked (if slowly) when the revs were up, it would light without blinking when idling. I checked the bulbs and found that the front bulb was the problem. The top filament (my bike has front running lights) had broken and was draped over, and welded to, the bottom filament. This affected the resistance when the turn signals tried to blink. If you have running lights (and even if you don't) check those bulbs first. Good luck.

Comment

Awesome! Glad you found it and got is fixed for the price of a bulb.

Comment

I had the same problem with me 1981 550L due to a poor ground on the right rear turn-signal stalk. If one of the signals on a side has lost its ground (or bulb), neither on that side will light.

Comment

A 2 prong electronic relay will work in my 1981 GS1100EX but a 3 prong electronic flasher will NOT work. Wierd but true. The 3rd wire goes to the turn signal canceller so that won't be working anymore. I can't start up my bike to test the check panel as my bike doesn't have the clutch in it right now.

Steve

Comment

I don't think the problem is soley the relay- it controls the signal for both right- and left- signals. If one is working fine and the other is sporadic, I'd be 90% sure that there was another wiring issue, probably a bad ground. If it were the relay, neither would flash (or both would sporadically).

Comment

My signals are doing some weird crap too. They won't work if you just flip the switch, but if you wiggle the living daylights out of it it'll work - kinda hard to do while riding. Think I gotta clean the contacts...

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBuster
                        My signals are doing some weird crap too. They won't work if you just flip the switch, but if you wiggle the living daylights out of it it'll work - kinda hard to do while riding. Think I gotta clean the contacts...
                        Mine was doing the same thing. I took the switch apart, and now it's does not work at all. Looks like I'm buying a new switch. :x

Comment

Working...
                        X