Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble starting my "new" '83 GS550.

Hi,

I'm a first time poster, first time rider, first time cycle owner, and first time cycle repair attempter... Pretty exciting times, I must say.

My friend, a serious GS enthusiast, was kind enough to point my nose in the direction of a beautiful '83 GS550L with only 8K miles on it. The battery was dead, but for $500, I didn't care. I had to have it.

Well, it's home now...and it's time to hear it turn over. I replaced the battery, which was deader than a door nail (what's a door nail?). Try as it might, the starter cannot get the engine to fire. The petcock was left in the prime position while in storage with the previous owner...approximately two years, by his best rec'lection.

So...what do I do? My friend, the GS enthusiast, has suggested that I use starter fluid. How would I go about doing that? And, I have read in other articles on this site, that starter fluid is "bad". Is that true? What other paths should I take? I purchased Clymer's Suzuki GS550 Service Manual (a great book in my novice opinion), and it suggests I check the fuel valve and the carb float bowl. I am actually looking forward to checking these things, as I've always wanted to lay hands on a motor. However, being completely clueless, I'm left with a few questions. Do I need to remove the fuel from the fuel tank before disconnecting the line to the fuel valve? If so, how does one go about doing that? If the carburetor requires cleaning, is this a complex job? If a new part is required, is there a good online site for '83 GS's?

I'm really looking forward to working on this bike. I'm looking even more forward to hearing it turn over and actually riding it. Any help anyone can provide will be deeply appreciated. Thanks a lot.

--sleubner

Re: Trouble starting my "new" '83 GS550.

Originally posted by sleubner
    Hi,

I'm a first time poster, first time rider, first time cycle owner, and first time cycle repair attempter... Pretty exciting times, I must say.

My friend, a serious GS enthusiast, was kind enough to point my nose in the direction of a beautiful '83 GS550L with only 8K miles on it. The battery was dead, but for $500, I didn't care. I had to have it.

Well, it's home now...and it's time to hear it turn over. I replaced the battery, which was deader than a door nail (what's a door nail?). Try as it might, the starter cannot get the engine to fire. The petcock was left in the prime position while in storage with the previous owner...approximately two years, by his best rec'lection.

So...what do I do? My friend, the GS enthusiast, has suggested that I use starter fluid. How would I go about doing that? And, I have read in other articles on this site, that starter fluid is "bad". Is that true? What other paths should I take? I purchased Clymer's Suzuki GS550 Service Manual (a great book in my novice opinion), and it suggests I check the fuel valve and the carb float bowl. I am actually looking forward to checking these things, as I've always wanted to lay hands on a motor. However, being completely clueless, I'm left with a few questions. Do I need to remove the fuel from the fuel tank before disconnecting the line to the fuel valve? If so, how does one go about doing that? If the carburetor requires cleaning, is this a complex job? If a new part is required, is there a good online site for '83 GS's?

I'm really looking forward to working on this bike. I'm looking even more forward to hearing it turn over and actually riding it. Any help anyone can provide will be deeply appreciated. Thanks a lot.

--sleubner
    It is very difficult to start these machines in sub freezing temperatures... wait until the weather warms up. Then you should be able to get it started (without the lighter fluid or whatever you might experiment with (not a good idea)). For the carb cleaning check out the 'carb cleaning' series on this site.. the link is on the home page in the left column. The instructions are straight forward and the pictures worth a thousand words. I used that valuable tutorial (as have many others) when I cleaned out my carbs.
    There are places that will clean out the carbs for you if you don't want to tackle it yourself, but be prepared to pay at least $100 for the job, and you might not like the results.. better to get to know your ride yourself and do this yourself.. it will be rewarding.

If your '83 550L is like all the GS's I've seen you don't need to remove gas from the gas tank when you disconnect it (and you will have to remove the tank to remove the carbs). The petcock valve is closed when the petcock is not in the prime position and gas will not run out (unless you have a leaky petcock, which I have experienced before). A rubber hose runs to the petcock from the carbs, and might have a clip around it. Just remove that, take off the seat, remove the bolts holding the tank, and remove the tank (that is if you are serious about cleaning out the carbs before tackling your bike starting problem in warmer outside temperatures).

I am basing my answers on experiences I've had with an '82 650, '82 1100, and '83 450... maybe the '83 550L is different but I suspect it is not.
    Anyone know for sure?

Comment

Starting 83 550

I'd say turn the petcock to ON or Reserve. Find a 5 gallon bucket and rags. remove seat, remove bolts holding tank and try to ease off the rubber fuel line from the petcock. If the fuel line is rock hard just snip it off midway to the carbs. A fuel filter can always fill that void.

If your petcock is working just a dribble of gas will come out of the bigger hose, if not, the bucket is there. Drain all the fuel from the tank on the Pri position. Tank off the bike would be easier. Dont know if you have a fuel gauge. If so disconnect two wires coming from the tank and determine if there's a long gas tank vent hose running down from tank below back of the engine. Draining may take awhile. The gas is old and probably has lost its volidity (sp?) to fire the engine.

While the tank is draining on the bucket find a gallon plastic milk jug or water bottle and cut it small enough to fit between the carbs and engine to drain the float bowls as your manual specifies. Loosen the bolt slightly so the bolt is weaping gas. Fit the plastic catch underneath carb. loosen bolt further. Drain one carb at a time. Dump gas from each carb one at a time to avoid overfilling plastic cup. Check for debris in gas.

When finished tighten float bowl screws. snug. Buy new gas to fill tank and an inline fuel filter. Mount tank, connect hoses to petcock turn to pri observe fuel filter. When gas stops flowing turn petcock to ON. Try to start it.

You may also remove the sparkplugs to check for wetness or excessive carbon. The carbs may still be gummed up inside from 2 years of storage with moisture and gas, but allows you to see if it is simply old gas causing your starting problems. This avoids the pain of removing your carbs from the airbox which all of know is frustrating especially for a newcomer.

You may have to remove them later anyway but this way you can feel like a stud for changing the gas in your tank and float bowls first. Carter
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

starting woes

I'd replace those spark plugs with new ones right off the bat and gap them according to spec... plugs are cheap

Comment

Well first off check your oil, make sure that it looks good. It is possible that with the tank stored in prime for two years that gas leaked down into the crankcase. It is advisable to just change it and the filter and be done with that. Then freshen up the tank with some good gas for this part, try to get higher octane at least for your first tankful. Then I would check for spark. Pull one of the plugs (with the gas tank removed so it wont actually try to start if it should) and put it back into it's plug wire and press it up against the engine head (a piece of duct tape works great) and then try to fire the bike and see if you get spark. If not then one of the experts here will take you from there. If you do, then put it all back together and get some carb cleaner, not starter fluid and spray it in the air box with a few shots, choke on full, and try to start it. If it has pod filters then spray the cleaner across the tops of them. You don't need a lot, just a good shot. I like to use Berkible 2+2 Gum Cutter as it is cleaner and a bit more combustible which is what we are looking for over the other brands that will be a bit more messy.

If all is well she should fire, if not then I humbly back out and let a real pro who knows what they are talking about take over for you

Comment

As an owner of a 1985 550EF, I know your problem. The TSCC 550 with the 2 2 barrel carbs are horrendously cold blooded machines! They don't like to start when they are cold, and the first start of the season always takes starting fluid (yes, I use starting fluid with top end lubricant, NAPA brand) and a jump from a car battery. Most of the time they start on 1 pair of cylinders then the other takes off. If fuel sits in those carbs more than 6 months without moving (starting, etc) I have always had to pull them off and clean the pilot jets and the enricher tubes.

I use starting fluid for 2 reasons, 1) It is specifically meant for the purpose, and 2) if you spray in too much, it doesn't ruin anything painted it drips on.

These bikes do not like to run out of gas! It seems to take forever for them get enough fuel into them to run when switching from run to reserve on the highway. I only use the prime I haven't started it in a while, or the first start of the season (i.e. dy carbs).

Don't let the starter motor crank forever. 5 to 10 seconds, let it cool a few seconds try again. After 5 or so tries, let the starter cool longer before retrying. They seem to be able to eat even new batteries pretty quick, thus the jump from the car battery on the first of the season starting.

Just my experince, I have only owned my 1985 since...1985.
            Kenny

Comment

Success! (sort of)

Yes! I got it to start...what a rush it was to hear that engine fire! I think draining the carbs is what solved the problem, but here are the other factors for consideration:
              - a warmer day (60 degrees F)
              - new plugs
              - new battery
              - new air filter
              - new oil/oil filter

I've since taken it for a few spins and have begun to understand what people mean by "bike fever". I'm smiling as I write this as a matter of fact. One problem that remains...the bike stalls out at stops. Either the carbs are truly gummed up, which I suspect, or it's just that bad gas that's still in the tank. I drained the tank a moment ago, drained the carbs again, and plan on loading it up with high octane gas tomorrow. Hopefully that'll do the trick. I'll pull the carbs and clean them if I have to, but with spring finally sprung in upstate NY, I would rather just ride and leave the hardcore maintenance to the fall.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Happy Ending!

Many trials and tribulations later, my GS550 runs like a beauty. I cleaned my carbs myself, and found a spiraling path towards ever-increasing frustration. I finally took my bike to Ward's Performance in Palmyra, NY. They recleaned the carbs and synced them, as well as reset the air screws. They did an awesome job. I highly recommend them to anyone needing carb work in the western New York area.

Comment

Working...
                X