Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warped master cylinder cap

Hi all,
    I thought the master cylinder on my bike was leaking (1980 GS1100E). It turns out after scrutinizing it with an intense scrut, that it is leaking from around the cap. The cap seems to be bowed in the middle. Any ideas on how to fix this? I?d like a metal cap for it but it doesn?t appear to be one mad for it.

Get a replacement from BikeBandit.com Don't overtighten the screws

Comment

I don't know why, but those "80" model lids were made with that bow looking edge, but the surface that seals the lid, isn't bowed. If you lay that lid on a flat surface, it looks like it would never seal, but it's the best system I've seen for not leaking. On the metal cylinders, there are only 2 screws. They rarely leak enough to drip, but the paint around where the lid mates to the cylinder is usually messed up from a small amount of fluid oozing out and eating the paint. I replaced the cylinder on my "82" 1100 E with one from an "80" 1100 E, for that very reason. I think you have a rare problem, I don't know what will fix your problem, be sure all four screws are tightened equally. I have got this metal one off my "82" model, if you are interested in a trade. I honestly think yours is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
        I don't know why, but those "80" model lids were made with that bow looking edge, but the surface that seals the lid, isn't bowed. If you lay that lid on a flat surface, it looks like it would never seal, but it's the best system I've seen for not leaking. On the metal cylinders, there are only 2 screws. They rarely leak enough to drip, but the paint around where the lid mates to the cylinder is usually messed up from a small amount of fluid oozing out and eating the paint. I replaced the cylinder on my "82" 1100 E with one from an "80" 1100 E, for that very reason. I think you have a rare problem, I don't know what will fix your problem, be sure all four screws are tightened equally. I have got this metal one off my "82" model, if you are interested in a trade. I honestly think yours is the best.
        I've only had the bike for a month but it looks as if the screws were tightened way to tight by a previous owner. I'll order on from bikebandit.com or stop by our friendly nieghborhood motorcycle junk yard here in Cincinnati and see if they might have one. I'll probably have to by the whole master cylinder there.

Comment

Working...
        X