what's a good tire?? what sucks A$$??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what's a good tire?? what sucks A$$??

So what is the concensus for crap tires out there?? I'm coming due for a rear, and would rather not pay out the wahzoo, but I don't want to buy something that's gonna drop me in a curve. any suggestions? warnings?

I'm a new rider, not really railing on it yet, but I might as well have the best performance I can afford!!

thanks!

sorry for the performance mods cross post, but I thought I'd go for the gusto!!

You going to ask this all over the forum??

LOL!!

Comment

YEP!! thanks for the answer too!

I'm kinda used to my ski forum where there're so many people they don't always browse all the forums... sorry! 8)

Comment

Re: what's a good tire?? what sucks A$$??

Originally posted by snowbeard

I'm a new rider, not really railing on it yet, but I might as well have the best performance I can afford!!
        thanks!
        How much can you afford to spend ? (if you haven't priced good performance tires yet you might be if for a bit of sticker shock) 8O

Comment

I realize I'm in for at least 150, then I still gotta buy someone some beer to mount it for me (or is that just ski bindings...) I think right now I just need to find out what to really avoid when I see $103.11!! maybe I can find out what's best and get it on eBay or at the salvage...

Comment

I get the GT501's for my bikes at about 1 bill for a front tire and about 120 for a rear.

But I get free mounting and balancing too

Preferred customer Well, maybe he just knows it will get me out of the shop sooner 8O

Comment

Metzeler m88 rear and m33 front. Its a great combo.

Comment

My preference is Metzler 33 on the front and a Metzler 550 on the rear. For more milage on the rear, the Metzeler880 is a good choice. However, the 880 does not have quite the stick that the 550 has. All of them handle exceptionally well in the rain. Dunlops are very good also and I have no complaints of them, but the Metzelers have a better feel to me.
                A set of Metzelers from ronayers.com will cost about $200.

My opinion is save money in other areas, not on tires. The grip and handling of the tires is the only thing keeping your face off the asphalt. :-)

Some people like Cheng Shin. They are inexpensive, but I feel they are acceptable for moderate, straight line riding in dry conditions only. (opinion again).....
                I found them to be scary dangerous in rain and I replaced an almost new set because of their horrible handling. I have not heard anthing good about Kenda either. Neither was I happy with Michlens handling.

Earl
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I have Cheng Shin's. They are good for the money. If pushed hard they will slide a little. But we're not talking about a GSXR1000. I have 4k or so on mine and they show little wear. If you want a more conservative/ higher mileage tire they are good. I paid about $70 for the pair and installed them myself, never noticed any problem without balancing

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

My opinion is save money in other areas, not on tires. The grip and handling of the tires is the only thing keeping your face off the asphalt. :-)

Earl
                    Dittos...(it costs alot more to replace skin than tires)... I have run nothing but Dunlops on all my bikes for the past 25 years. Never had any problems and they seem to grip pretty well (however, I have nothing to compare them against) :roll:

Comment

Dunlop GT501 tires front and rear.
                      Great grip, wear well, and good in the rain.
                      Braking performance did not suffer at all.

Don't buy crap tires. Spend a couple extra bucks, it's worth it.

Someone talked about Chengshings,,,,,they slide a little, you're a new rider. How are they in the rain? crap....
                      What do you do when it slides? you don't need that burst of adrenaline. 8O
                      ( we don't have "butt clenching" smiley)

www.mawonline.com decent prices.
                      Play the game, Dennis Kirk said they beat anyone's price by a buck.
                      Price around then see if they'll beat the price.
                      Keith
                      -------------------------------------------
                      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Cheng Shin are crappy, no offense to anybody! Don't go cheap on your rubber.

Metzelers are the way to go man. Get a Metzler 33 Laser on the front and a Metzler 55 Metronic on the rear and you will be safe and happy! Just my $.02

Comment

You guys place too much value on skin... LOL Just trying to give the guy a cheap SOB perspective

Comment

I would not use Cheng Shin period, they feel like they were made for a bicycle. Very thin sidewalls. There upgraded Maxxis Maybe. Loved my last set of Metzlers Dunlops are good too. Everyone has there own preference but you can't go wrong with either Metzler or Dunlop

Comment

Whats the word on Continentals? I believe thats what I have and I was told they are good but no one has mentioned them here.

Comment

Working...
                              X