Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"tabs" that came with Headgasket...do I use them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"tabs" that came with Headgasket...do I use them?

I just bought a whole 1980 GS1100E engine gasket set:

after placing the new headgasket on...I noticed four small "tabs" with two holes in them. After pondering what they might be used for it occured to me: They LOOKED like they were to go on the "ends" of the headgasket (not sure how to explain this...but the there are four sections that have two screws coming up from the head).

I'm really confused....if I were to place these where they appear they should be...it would make the gasket thicker in those four areas....See what I'm getting at?

If anyone can help me on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Rudi

Are the tabs kind of egg-shaped with rubber lining the two holes, and about 3/4 inch long and 1/2 inch wide? If so, those are for the GS750 motor which has higher oil pressure going to the head and are not used on the 1100 engine.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
      Are the tabs kind of egg-shaped with rubber lining the two holes, and about 3/4 inch long and 1/2 inch wide? If so, those are for the GS750 motor which has higher oil pressure going to the head and are not used on the 1100 engine.

Hap
      Yes! That is exactly what I'm talking about. So their for the GS750 motor? Strange how they would include them for my engine gasket set...which was specified for a GS1100. Oh well...if you know anyone who needs these let me know! :-) Thanks for the info Hap!

Rudi

Comment

if there for the higher oil pressure of the 750 would they not also be needed for the higher oil pressure of a 650 with the shaft final drive? my manual says shafties get higher oil pressure

Comment

Originally posted by crazyguy
          if there for the higher oil pressure of the 750 would they not also be needed for the higher oil pressure of a 650 with the shaft final drive? my manual says shafties get higher oil pressure
          I'm not sure about the 650. The 750 4-valve motor has higher oil pressure system because it has plain bearings on the crank. The 650 has roller bearings if I'm not mistaken.

Hap

Comment

beats me but the shaft drive 650 acording to my manual has oil pressure in the mid 60psi ranger. chain drive is apparently low pressure though.

Comment

bonded headgasket seals

If I change the oil pump gears on my gs1100ex and use a gs750 oil pump gear set which produces higher oil pressure, will the laminated headgasket stand a higher chance of leaking oil at the 4 corners where the seals are suposed to go? The stock gasket has the seals impregnated into the gasket but the after-market gasket I have doesnt.

Comment

Uhhh, I dont believe so Hap. As far as I know, all 750 8 valve engines had roller bearing cranks. When the 750 went to 16 valves, they used plain bearings.

Earl

The 750 4-valve motor has higher oil pressure system because it has plain bearings on the crank. The 650 has roller bearings if I'm not mistaken.

Hap
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                  Uhhh, I dont believe so Hap. As far as I know, all 750 8 valve engines had roller bearing cranks. When the 750 went to 16 valves, they used plain bearings.

Earl

The 750 4-valve motor has higher oil pressure system because it has plain bearings on the crank. The 650 has roller bearings if I'm not mistaken.

Hap

You are exactly right Earl. I was referring to the 16 valve 750 engine that looks exactly like the 1100E engine that Rudy was referring to. When I said 4 valve I was referring to 4 valves per cylinder. They didn't make any 2 cylinder GS750's, did they?

Hap

Hap

Comment

Re: bonded headgasket seals

Originally posted by mygs1100ex
                    If I change the oil pump gears on my gs1100ex and use a gs750 oil pump gear set which produces higher oil pressure, will the laminated headgasket stand a higher chance of leaking oil at the 4 corners where the seals are suposed to go? The stock gasket has the seals impregnated into the gasket but the after-market gasket I have doesnt.
                    No, in fact the oil pressure in your 1100E will increase only slightly but your flow will increase about 20%. I've done this same modification on my bike with not problems with head gasket leaks.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                    X