Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repainting Exhausts

Hey Guys,
    I got a set of used exhausts last year and want to prevent them from rusting away like my first set(they came like that). What do you suggest? I've already removed the rust with sanding, I want to smoot the pipes a bit with a wire brush disc on a grinder and then.......what? Will High Temp Paint do? Is there a special kind? What works and what doesn't? What looks good. I've seen the flat black pipes out there, is there another option? I can get engine enamels in all sorts of colours here(500oF) or High Temp in black or "aluminum" (maybe more, the shelves were semi-empty) and that goes to 1200oF (or so the can says). That's all I could see at Canadian Tire, should I check Auto Parts places? Any help is always appreciated.
    Thanks

VH1 high temp header paint is decent. I used blue 8) . It needs recoating now because the blue is fading fast. I may do the silver color next time. It lasted about a year or so.....

See if you can spot my bike ...
    [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WQDZAhoagI9OgpFGq8WpZQGJKpE1yMoCxt84NVOXRqHZCr4c3 3Wfmfie1OWhn4R4rFlGxpGqocIjrYO*REfQ*HiGwbAAKMtSotL uoSr0tWb5xolpSpadxqLCwGQmlc7I4T9xZoIBDP8/Frio%20Moto%20Stop%202.JPG?dc=4675455968350901336[/img]

Comment

Re: Repainting Exhausts

Use the 1200oF paint. I'm told that the header normally runs about 800oF but could go higher.

Comment

I took my old Kerker system to a local sandblaster and head them blow off all the old paint and coatings and then hung the pieces (header and muffler) from the ceiling in my garage and put a couple of coats of VH1 High Temp paint on them. If you have a propane torch, direct the flame into the header tubes and muffler from the collector end and heat the pipes up some. This helps cure the paint as it is very soft and scratches easily when fresh. CAREFULLY install the system and run the engine for the normal exhaust temp to finish curing the paint. This takes awhile. But mine always looked like new afterward.

Comment

Re: Repainting Exhausts

Originally posted by Barry Rivers-Bowerman
          Hey Guys,
          I got a set of used exhausts last year and want to prevent them from rusting away like my first set(they came like that). What do you suggest? I've already removed the rust with sanding, I want to smoot the pipes a bit with a wire brush disc on a grinder and then.......what? Will High Temp Paint do? Is there a special kind? What works and what doesn't? What looks good. I've seen the flat black pipes out there, is there another option? I can get engine enamels in all sorts of colours here(500oF) or High Temp in black or "aluminum" (maybe more, the shelves were semi-empty) and that goes to 1200oF (or so the can says). That's all I could see at Canadian Tire, should I check Auto Parts places? Any help is always appreciated.
          Thanks
          I think your best option is to have them powder-coated. I've seen what powder-coating companies can do for pipes..and it's AMAZING. Do a search on yahoo for powder coating and you'll see a ton of options.....

Comment

I have heard that powder coating will not last on exhaust systems it may stay on the end of the muffler where it is cooler but on the headers up near the engine it is too hot for anything but the high temp paint which always fades fairly rapidly and has to be redone regularly. Other than that there is a ceramic coating that you see on some stock systems but I don't know who does it and I have a feeling by the time you paid for it you might as well of bought a whole new exhaust system.....mark

Comment

Thanks guys,
              I think I'll look for the VH1 Paint, any ideas where it is sold in Canada? (New Brunswick). Ideally I would go with the ceramic painting, but like mentioned I could get a whole new system for the same price, so that option is out. How much does sand blasting cost? And who does it? Again, thanks, can't wait to get out riding soon.

Comment

I found a place in the Yellow pages phone book that sandblasted my pipes for $25.00.

Comment

750C is fine on headers and collector. It needs a lot of heat to cure and may not cure completely on the rear parts of an exhaust which don't get as hot.

490-500F (confusingly sometimes rated as 750F) paints don't last on headers.

Comment

I have used the high temp exhaust paint for years. Usually it needs redoing every few years. I have used flat and matt black, and blue!!! The matt will be a little harder to wash clean than a gloss finish.

The bike was yellow when I had the blue headers and gold anodised exhaust can.

Comment

Working...
                    X