Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Lock Question

Hi All,

I hope this is a question with a simple solution. I took my throttle lock off of my '80 GS550L and attempted to mount it on my "new" '83 GS1100G. However, the gap between the grip and the throttle cable housing is tighter on the 1100 and doesn't seem to be adjustable. I don't want to break anything by attempting to spread the grip away from the housing to make the throttle lock fit.

So my question is... is there a trick to getting the throttle lock to fit? The difference in gap between the 550 and the 1100 is probably no more than a sixteenth of an inch at most. I always thought throttle locks were somewhat universal ... is this a mistaken assumption? Any input and helpful hints are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Steve 8)

It is just how far the grip is slid onto the throttle sleeve. You should be able to work it back a bit to get the gap you need. Squirt some brake clean in the junction and start twisting the grip, the brakk clean works a a lubricant but dries quickly so the grip will reset.

Kenny

Comment

On the 550 the throttle lock was not between the grip and the throttle sleeve ... it was between the throttle sleeve and the throttle cable housing. That piece appears to be part of the entire mechanism, and doesn't seem to be adjustable... By the way, the grip is pretty easy to move out of the way, but doesn't affect the clearance problem at all. If I get a chance I'll post a picture later.

Thanks, though!
      Steve 8)

Comment

...anyone else have thoughts on this issue. I'm tempted to modify the throttle lock I have, to make it fit the slightly narrower gap on the 1100G. This particular throttle lock could definitely be made to fit without damaging it's structural integrity. Before I commit to it I just want to make sure I'm not missing something so any other input would be appreciated if you know something I don't. This particular throttle lock could definitely be made to fit without damaging it's structural integrity.

Thanks again in advance!
        Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
        X