Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gearing? different sprockets?

Hi,
    Is there anyway to adjust the gear ratio in a GS1100? I know put new gears in it. I'd perfer a 5th gear that hung around 2500-3000 rpm at highway speeds rather then the 4000-4500 I get know.
    You folks may think I'm crazy.

You would have to change your sprockets I believe? Try going up 1 tooth in the front sprocket or down 3 in the rear. That will get you close to your desired effect but it will do it to all gears not just one. I don't know that your going to get it as low as your asking though. I wouldn't cruise one of these engines under 3000 anyway. But that's me. It's not a Harley

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
      You would have to change your sprockets I believe? Try going up 1 tooth in the front sprocket or down 3 in the rear. That will get you close to your desired effect but it will do it to all gears not just one. I don't know that your going to get it as low as your asking though. I wouldn't cruise one of these engines under 3000 anyway. But that's me. It's not a Harley
      Changing the sprockets was my first thought and I think it is the right answer to the problem. I'm hoping to here from someone that did it and benifit from someone elses experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Hobbit
        Changing the sprockets was my first thought and I think it is the right answer to the problem. I'm hoping to here from someone that did it and benifit from someone elses experience.
        Im running 1 tooth upon my *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ersahft countershaft for a while now. what do you call highway speeds. I believe your desired rpm range is a bit unrealistic for these machines.

My first thought was --what did I do now???

Comment

Well I've done it. And it works. I went the other way though but like you this year am thinking about swinging back to other way to get more highway gearing.

Comment

I used to run slightly lower gearing whenI was doing a lot of highway trips. Going down much lower than 3600 to 3800rpm at 100kph reduces power a bit too much for other uses, and does not give better fuel economy.

Comment

Well I've done it. And it works. I went the other way though but like you this year am thinking about swinging back to other way to get more highway gearing.
              Mark,
              Got anyidea what gearing you are going to and where you are going to get the gears and chain?

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
                I used to run slightly lower gearing whenI was doing a lot of highway trips. Going down much lower than 3600 to 3800rpm at 100kph reduces power a bit too much for other uses, and does not give better fuel economy.
                saaz,
                What bike are you riding?

Comment

Mark,
                  Got anyidea what gearing you are going to and where you are going to get the gears and chain?
                  I am at the current time going with the stock tooth config for my bike which is 15t front and 42t rear 640 chain. I am getting all three new. Joe is getting them for me. I will check with him where he gets the stuff as he knows where to get the best prices.

I am considering going up one tooth to 16t in the front to make it a little better on the highway but not until I go back to stock first and see how I like it. I have been running one tooth down since 1993 so I need to ride stock again first because I forget what it was like.

I will never go one tooth down in the front again unless they can put a 6th gear in my bike

Comment

I just did the math and it seems if I change from the stock 15/42 to a 16/42 It will only make a 4% change or about 200 rpm at 65 mph. If I go to 16/40 it will be a 10% change or 400 rpm. I'll just leave it as it is. Paint job to come next instead of gears, yellow I think, with black pinstripes.

Comment

I ran the 15/40 setup until I converted to a 530 chain.
                      Worked good, Got the rpms down at speed but lost some torque.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                        Im running 1 tooth upon my ####ersahft countershaft for a while now. what do you call highway speeds. I believe your desired rpm range is a bit unrealistic for these machines.

My first thought was --what did I do now???
                        Scotty doesn't a 1 tooth counter shaft give a pretty jerky ride?

Do you use that with a 3-tooth rear?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mdole
                          Do you use that with a 3-tooth rear?
                          It's not nice to make fun of people with 3 teeth.

Comment

the 750's use a 14/43 combo and I went to a 17/38 combo. now I have very little front wheel lifting torque but real nice high speed cruising RPM's.(high speed being around 60-85 MPH depending on which type of road I'm on) This is probably more extreme than you are looking for but it does change your gearing.

Comment

Gearing

Evil:
                              I went with a 17/38 on my old 79 1000 with no problem & enjoyed the drop in RPM on the freeway, your 1000 should really have no problem either. The RPM went from 3600 to 3200 if memory serves me right. If you feel acceleration lacking from freeway speed on UP.....just wiggle your toe in the downward direction to make up for it.....
                              Rick......

Comment

Working...
                              X