X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator fault? GS 1150

Hi,

Have a GS 1150 E 1984 with no charging.

The recitance between the thrre yellow leads is 0,7 - 0,8 Ohms.

If I measure the AC Voltage and rev. the bike up to 5000 rpm, I measure only approx. 2 V between the leads.

The strange thing is that the recistance simes to be OK, but the Voltage is just not there...

What do you think, replace the stator?

Now I have replaced the stator and the charging system works as it should.

But I am still confused of that the Ohm -readings all where OK on the bad stator.. :?

Well, this shows that the AC-Voltage measurment is the important one.

Comment

Stator Test

Glad you solved your problem. The other test you could have performed was continuity from the stator leads to ground. It sound like you had a shorted stator.

Comment

I tested that as well this morning (forgot to write) and it was no contact between ground and any of the stator leads.

Comment

Perhaps the windings are touching eachother somewhere other than where they are supposed to be connected.

Steve

Comment

Stator Q&A

The problem with checking for shorted stator windings with an ohmeter is that you are only placing the meters battery voltage (typically 9VDC) across the windings. This will not detect a hi-voltage breakdown of the windings. You need to place a potential that is higher than the working voltage of the stator (~75VAC) across the windings. A megohmeter (megger) is the instrument of choice here. You seem to have eliminated all other possibilities, this is the only thing left.

Comment

Re: Stator Q&A

Originally posted by MCMan
              The problem with checking for shorted stator windings with an ohmeter is that you are only placing the meters battery voltage (typically 9VDC) across the windings. This will not detect a hi-voltage breakdown of the windings. You need to place a potential that is higher than the working voltage of the stator (~75VAC) across the windings. A megohmeter (megger) is the instrument of choice here. You seem to have eliminated all other possibilities, this is the only thing left.
              I agree with you,

Unfortunaly I don't own a Megger, but I think I know where I can borrow one.

For the record, it would be interessting to make a Megger test on the defect stator.

Comment

Working...
              X