Installing rear wheel on 82GS1100GK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing rear wheel on 82GS1100GK?

Recently removed the rear wheel on my GS1100GK with the help of a couple of buddies. Taking the axle out required what I considered a lot of pounding (I used a nornal claw hammer, I now have a 8lb sledge-bought that that for the wheel bearings). I was on the pounding side and did not see everything as it the parts fell apart once the axle cleared the swing arm. My Clymer manual only shows the rear wheel of a GS850G, which is different than my GS1100GK. I was able to get a parts schmatic from bikebandit.com and consulted one of my buddies with it (he was on the side where the parts fell off of the axle shaft). The schematic differs in the actual setup the bike had by the position of the 2 spacers that are located on each side of the brake caliper bracket. The outside spacer next to the swingarm on the orignal setup of the bike is impossible to fit back on the shaft of the axle. I'm thinking I will have to enlarge the hole in this spacer with something. My questions are: Has anyone else ran into this type of problem and whats the best way to fit the axle back into the spacer?

I'm a GK owner also. I have an 84, but the two bikes are identical except for a couple of minor details, (not related to the rear wheel), and the paint.

As you sit behind the bike, the GK has the final drive on the left side of the wheel. That's where the axle nut is, right? You push the axle in and it comes out the right side, (the disc side, correct?)

You must have an early GS850. On the 79, 80, and 81 GS850's, the swingarm is different. The axle comes out the left side.

Get a schematic for the 1982 or 1983 GS850GZ or GS850GD, or GS1100GZ or GS1100GD. The swingarm and rear wheel setup for those bikes is identical to that on the GK. Many small mechanical and styling changes to the later 850's, compared to the earlier models. I had two 82 GS850's, one 79, and one 80 -- before buying my GK in 1999.

I never had any problem fitting the spacer back onto the axle. I have an extra axle and spacers from one of my 82 GS850's. If you want, I'll sell them to you. E-mail me at marinick@erols.com if interested. The axle and spacers are identical to that on the GK.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
      I'm a GK owner also. I have an 84, but the two bikes are identical except for a couple of minor details, (not related to the rear wheel), and the paint.

As you sit behind the bike, the GK has the final drive on the left side of the wheel. That's where the axle nut is, right? You push the axle in and it comes out the right side, (the disc side, correct?)

You must have an early GS850. On the 79, 80, and 81 GS850's, the swingarm is different. The axle comes out the left side.

Get a schematic for the 1982 or 1983 GS850GZ or GS850GD, or GS1100GZ or GS1100GD. The swingarm and rear wheel setup for those bikes is identical to that on the GK. Many small mechanical and styling changes to the later 850's, compared to the earlier models. I had two 82 GS850's, one 79, and one 80 -- before buying my GK in 1999.

I never had any problem fitting the spacer back onto the axle. I have an extra axle and spacers from one of my 82 GS850's. If you want, I'll sell them to you. E-mail me at marinick@erols.com if interested. The axle and spacers are identical to that on the GK.

Nick
      Nick, my 850 is a 1980, my GK is a 1982, at lest thats what the title said. If I remember right the wheel and tire matches a 1983 model on the GK(this is from a tire sales web site) I know the tire and wheel sizes are different between the two bikes. I sent you a e-mail regarding your offer. Thanks!

Comment

All three years of the GK have, in my opinion, the same setup in the rear -- same 16-in rear wheel, same swingarm, same axle/spacers, etc. I believe your source is incorrect on the 1983 model. Maybe someone with an 83 model GK could enlighten us. It makes no sense for the 82 and 84 GK to have the same setup, while the 83 model year goes back to the older GS850 version.

The GK has the same rear setup as the 1983 GS850GD or the GS1100GD, both 1983 models. Only difference is that the GK has the 16-in rear wheel, where the others have the 17. The wheels are exchangeable.

Believe it or not, your old-style 17-inch wheel off your 1980 GS850 will fit your GK. It has to be shimmed differently with washers and spacers, but it will fit. I know this from experience.

Just got your e-mail, and I replied.

Nick

Comment

Working...
        X