re torkng the head .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re torkng the head .....

I am going to re tork the head today to hopefully stop the oil leak . i know i have to loosen the head bolts before torking them down in order but ,do I loosen them in the same order ?All loose then tighten all or loosen one tighten one . May sound funny but i wanna do it right !
    as always
    THANKS FOR SAVING MY SORRY ASS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Vinny

Re: re torkng the head .....

Originally posted by ddz
    I am going to re tork the head today to hopefully stop the oil leak . i know i have to loosen the head bolts before torking them down in order but ,do I loosen them in the same order ?All loose then tighten all or loosen one tighten one . May sound funny but i wanna do it right !
    as always
    THANKS FOR SAVING MY SORRY ASS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Vinny
    Vinny...email me at rudianger2@yahoo.com and I'll reply with a scanned page from my GS1100E manual. Not sure what bike you have but the order and tourque should be about the same.

Rudi

Comment

Since you already have a leak, I would re-torque by loosening them all first. This will give the head a chance to spread out evenly as you re-torque. Just crack them loose, don't loosen them a lot. Don't forget the small 10mm bolts on the sides and in front (whatever you have). Be sure the motor is stone cold.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

ok thanks ......soon as the rain stops..IM ON IT !!!!!!!!

Comment

What Keith said. That's exactly how I did it man. Only thing I can add is I re-torqued them from the center out then when I did it. Working in a criss cross pattern from side to side. It worked perfectly. No more leaking at the head.
          I didn't follow the re-torque procedure listed but instead followed the one that a friend told me a while ago. I loosened all the nuts, tapped on the head from the sides lightly a few times on each side with a rubber mallet, then with the socket hand tightened all the nuts. Then I went over them with the torque wrench and torqued to specs in the pattern shown in this pic, it worked like a charm for me.

Comment

dont forget to get a nice even tourqe all the way around that if the tourqe spec is say 100ft/lbs(I have no idea what it is) the tourqe everything to 80 first then go through at 90, then go through a final at 100. this should give best results.

Comment

Working...
            X