Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stuck float

ok,

on thursday night i noticed that one cylinder wasn't firing, (there seemed to be a spark)

on friday morning i found a pool of gas under the bike...seemed to be coming from the general vicinity of the carbs...

petcock is NOT on prime
    pulled plugs..all very dark covered in black crap.some smell of gas

so in discussion with some of the GS guys the concensus was a stuck float
    so before i get stuck into the carbs how far do i need to go to get to the floats....ie will i need to stock up on new o-rings etc before i start..?

also should i grab a new air filter now before the store closes or might it be ok?

also after i put the carbs back together should i change the oil right away before i to a test run or can i hold of until i know i've fixed the problem....

thanks

Phil

stuck float

Pull the carbies off turn upside downand remove bowls/floats and needle & seat(the 10mm nut under the floats) keeping each set together. (Very important) Blow air through the fuel hose to disloge any crap insideLook at each seat and see if there is a groove around the tip as there should be a smooth taper. Replace if nessarry. Oil level should be checked for varying height to see how much fuel is in there. Remove spark plugs and wind motor over to expel any residue fuel in the barrels. Not doing this may result in a hydaulic situation in the bore. Note: Keep plugs and plug caps clear of spark plug holes when pumping fuel out of the bores as you might own a new dog when it goes woof!

Comment

First take a look in the oil level sight window for the oil level If it is way over full Change it If it shows a normal level wait until it is fixed.
      Then Check the operation of your petcock IT could have some crud in it, not letting it shut off. Then I would drain and refill the carbs 2-3 times to flush the float needle, clean/ replace the plugs and try it If it still doesn't run right you will have to take the carbs apart for cleaning/repair

Comment

while you are at it you may want to go ahead and order a set of orings for if you do need to take the carbs apart, they are good to have on hand.

and from this point on even if you do not clean the carbs PUT A INLINE FUEL FILTER ON NOW. no if ands or buts they are 4 bucks at a bike shop and they will save your ass alot of carb problems.

basicly try what sqlynn sez if it still gives you problems then rebuild the carbs, you can probly get away with using all the old stuff if you are very carefull takeing things apart like takeing the gasket off the bowl use a straight razor and go very slow and use carb spray to help it free its self.

what conditon is you air filter in is it foam and rotting? if not you can just dip the foam in some kerosene and squeeze it a couple times then use some foam filter oil on it and you should be good.

as for plugs just buy a new set they are relitivly cheap and you can get them any where try a autostore they maybe cheaper there b8es plugs right? i find that when a plug goes black it uslly ends up shot no cleaning helps and reliability goes way down

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
        X