Luggage Rack "HELP" for a 1980 GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luggage Rack "HELP" for a 1980 GS550L

Hello Brothers of the GS!! I have been wanting to add a luggage rack to the back of my 1980 GS550L. My bike already has the tall factory Suzuki sissy bar and Saddleman saddlebags which I added. I use my bike for comutting to work often and would like to have a rear rack also.

I've been watching ebay for sometime and it just seems like the pickens are slim to none for the GS. My question is, what choices do we have for a rear rack. KG, Amco, factory Suzuki or what??? I don't know of any salvage yards where I live or I would check into that. Any leads for a new or used rack or what is available would be appreciated.

Thanks A Bunch!! 8)

It's tough most of the mfg's that made racks in the late 70's early 80's have gone out of business, or into other areas. There is one Co Ventura? Austrialian Co if I remember Might??????? Just keep looking I would think any thing from a 450-750 would work, 850 up the frame is wider in the rear

Comment

try http://www.ventura-bike.com/english/...s/products.htmthey make all sorts of bike luggage , including the rack system, should fit almost any bike.
      Dink

Comment

Better still try this like to a fitment guide that still includes a lot of GS's 8O http://www.ventura-bike.com/english/...facturer_id=12
        Dink

Comment

Sometime in the near future I may try my hand at welding up rack to fit GS's. I have the same bike as you (with a rack), so if I am successful I'll keep you in mind. If you want to try to fabricate your own rack (or have someone local do it) I'll be glad to take some measurements for you. My rack is a short model KG. I've had a cooler mounted to it for almost as long as I've owned the bike (1989) and it's great to have a "trunk."!

Keep your eyes open on Ebay in the meantime -- these things do materialize every now and then.

Good Luck!
          Steve 8)

Comment

Thanks guys for the replys. I guess I'll just keep a look out on ebay for awhile. Maybe one will show up sooner or later, and yes Steve if you begin fabrication, I'm defintely interested. 8)

Comment

Working...
            X