Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Popping on acceleration after jet kit install..lean or rich?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping on acceleration after jet kit install..lean or rich?

I installed a K&N stage 3 with K&N pods and a 4 into 1 Supertrapp exhaust over the winter and took it out for my first ride yesterday. I get a lot of popping on acceleration in the low and mid range. Is this usually a sign of richness or leanness.

It's an 82' GS1100E.

The word "popping" can be taken differently by each person. Did you set the needles at the "base setting"? You should also remove the two floatbowl vent lines to help the carbs vent better with the new filters.
    Do you have any surging or hesitation (after removing the vent lines) while holding a steady speed such as 40-60 mph? If possible, I would ride the bike at 70 mph steady for about 5 miles and immediately close the throttle/pull in the clutch/and turn off the key. Pull over and take plug reads. Do what the plugs say. Take a rag and a piece of tubing that will fit snug over the plug end to make removing/re-installing the hot plugs easier.
    To make jetting easier, always be sure the ignition is timed right, you have good compression, the valve clearances are correct, and the carbs are synched.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Do you mean a popping sound from the exhaust when you let off the accelerator after accelerating? If yes, I believe that is a lean condition. I would say raise the needles a half or full notch. After you get this thing set up they way you like it please let us (me) know what you end up with. I have the same bike with the same set up but I have a V&H supersport header.

I have my needles set at the 5th notch from the top. The starting point was the third notch from the top, I ended up raising them. My bike runs fine and a little on the rich side. I just went through the jetting process last summer. I plan to reevaluate my adjustments during this riding season.
      1982 GS1000S Katana
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

I was getting popping from the exhaust while accelerating. I've raised the needles a notch and a half (4 1/2 now) and turned the a/f screws out another 1/2 turn (3 1/2 turns) and it's running much better. I'll get to the bottom of this soon, I just wasn't sure which way to go at first.

Comment

I installed a K&N kit too and the biggest jet in the kit was 138's with pods, 4 into1 and they were just to small. Bike would go flat like you were losing a cylinder. Installed bigger jets and the problem went away. Cause playing with the needles did'nt do a thing and was a big pain in the butt just to adjust them.

I'd say go bigger on the mains :twisted: I got a 82 E too and it wants more fuel, I'd slap 150's in it and go from there.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I never had popping during acceleration so I never had to work through it?
            1982 GS1000S Katana
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

I've got the DJ138 mains in there now and have a pretty good selection of Mikuni jets ranging from 145 to 160. Do you think I should try some of the Mikuni jets instead?

Comment

Originally posted by CDNBandit
                I was getting popping from the exhaust while accelerating. I've raised the needles a notch and a half (4 1/2 now) and turned the a/f screws out another 1/2 turn (3 1/2 turns) and it's running much better. I'll get to the bottom of this soon, I just wasn't sure which way to go at first.
                You may also want to check all the orifices in the needle jet and pilot assy. If you are having problems with accelerating at less than 3/4 throttle you might want to change the needle jet as this and the cut aways determine proper fuel mix at this throttle setting. But also do as keith suggested and do the plug test to determine if you are running spot on or not.

Comment

Originally posted by CDNBandit
                  I've got the DJ138 mains in there now and have a pretty good selection of Mikuni jets ranging from 145 to 160. Do you think I should try some of the Mikuni jets instead?
                  Your first post said you have a low to mid-range problem. This would not involve the main jets. But if you want to install Mikuni jets, I posted a topic in this section,"Jet sizes, Mikuni vs Dynojet". Right now it's on page #5. Read the replies and you'll see a chart that explains and compares the jets and how they are sized. A DJ138 is about the same as a 130 Mikuni, a DJ150 is about the same as a 140 Mikuni, and so on.
                  So be aware if you go up to your 145 Mikuni's, that will be like going up 3 full sizes.(130 to 145.)
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I seem to have the problem somewhat solved. I get good throttle response and it runs quite smooth across the whole range and don't get any popping on acceleration but still get quite a bit on deceleration. When I installed the jet kit, I did put in the optional DJ160 air jets but have since removed in and put the stock air jets back in but haven't yet gone for a ride. I'll let you know.

Comment

I am highly highly interested in your solution because I have the same problem with my GS750 with a stage-3 jet kit with the stock exhaust.
                      I get the popping and hesitation on accelleration also and I suspect it is a lean condition. I'm at the stock setting for my jet needles (4th position down from the top notch) and suspect that I may have to use the adjusting washers to make it 1/2 a notch richer.

Awaiting your posts eagerly,
                      Dm of mD

Comment

If your engine is popping while it accelerates, it's running too lean. What needs attention depends on where in the rpm range the popping occurs.

Comment

3-5k rpm range/Quarter-throttle....what component is that?

:?
                          Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                            3-5k rpm range/Quarter-throttle....what component is that?

:?
                            Dm of mD
                            Needle.

Comment

Awesome, I'm gonna lean it out then. I get the stutter on accelleration so that is probably rich according to the sooty plugs.

leaner it will be until these pods work!!!

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                              X