Air Filter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Filter Question

I went to clean my air filter a few weeks, and with my lack of motorcycle knowledge, it came to my surprise that the airfilter on my 1980 gs 400L is flat. IT is not one that i have seen before, i have only seen the cone ones in cars, and the big circular ones. Now, if i were to get a K&N for my bike, it checks out that they only make the cone style? is it just me, or will that not fit on my bike? is there some sort of mod i can do to make them fit this cone style? or do they make a flat style for my bike. Im just got a temp. job for a few weeks, im planning on doing some little mods on my bike ie. new pipes, new air filter, clean carbs. ANy information would be greatly appreciated.

I would sugest that you stay with the stock type filter. You can put Pod type (cones) filters on. IT requires rejetting your carbs If you think you are capable of doing it go ahead. It is a lot of trial and error to get it right

Comment

Yes, lots of patience involved in rejetting carbs. From my hellish experience I'm ready to go back to stock and just say to hell with it.
      Too much trial and error....

Dm of mD

Comment

I just ordered myself a new filter for my airbox. $14 Cdn. Although I wouldn't mind going with cones, I'd rather be able to actually drive my bike this summer, rather than spending my little free time rejetting. Just a suggestion. I'd go with stock for now, if you get everything else on, then go for the K&N cones, but til then, why not just ride the thing, that's what's fun!

Comment

Stay with stock and keep it simple. Not that much power to be gleaned from a switch. Go to a bike parts store and get bulk, flat air filter material and make your own. A much cheaper way to go. Dave J

Comment

Working...
          X