Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pt.2 Changed bars, now 80gs1000e WILL turn over? WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pt.2 Changed bars, now 80gs1000e WILL turn over? WTF?

Thanks for all of the advice in my previous post. As of Friday I was still dumbfounded as to why the 80gs1000e would not start.

Saturday morning I set out to get the bike sorted out. I went over every single connection, soldered a few that looked questionable and re-cleaned all of the grounds. Still wouldn't start. Tried to push start it but its way too heavy and no hill in sight. I decided to go to the store and replace all of the fuses although they all looked perfectly good, none of them were blown. Popped in the new fuses and it turned right over! I knew that I should have done that first thing.....DOH!!! WTF!!?? Perhaps it is the fuse holder that I need to dissasemble and clean up. That's this week!

I properly bypassed the clutch kill and installed my new 4 in 2 stock exhaust which cleaned up very nice I must say. No more holes in the pipes and the bike sounds awesome. I also put in new seals where the header pipes go into the block. While I had the exhaust off I cleaned up the engine quite a bit and removed 20 years of grime and smoldering dirt. No more smoldering! Took her for a spin to test out my superbike bars and new gel grips and all was well. New stock mirrors are not going to work out since I can't see past my shoulder so that sucks. Just happy to have my bike up and running!

Next is:

1. put on my new seat cover and clean up the pan

2. address the soft shocks up front.

3. mount my brand new tires that are sitting in the shed

4. get some bar end mirrors

5. paint!!!!

Summer is coming!!!!!

WOOHOO!! Awesome!! Glad to hear you're up and running.
    By the way...you're going to LOVE the bar-end mirrors!!

Dm of mD

Comment

Rock on man
      Check all the fuses you took out with a continuity tester. If one comes up bad then you know it isn't your fuse block. If they all test good then you know it is your fuse block.

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
        WOOHOO!! Awesome!! Glad to hear you're up and running.
        By the way...you're going to LOVE the bar-end mirrors!!

Dm of mD
        Where can you get them? I want a set in black, not chrome. I saw the chrome ones on jcwhitney.com Horiguchi Universal Mirror-Bar End. Thanks

Comment

Dom,

Here's a link to a place that has the Napoleon bar ends in black...........http://www.motorhelmets.com/htm1/bodyparts-mirrors.htm

How do you like the Superbike bars? I think you'll find them nice for all around riding.

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
            Dom,

Here's a link to a place that has the Napoleon bar ends in black...........http://www.motorhelmets.com/htm1/bodyparts-mirrors.htm

How do you like the Superbike bars? I think you'll find them nice for all around riding.

Joe
            Thanks Joe, I was just about to PM you and ask where you got yours. The ones I got on there now are new stock ones but useless...... .

I love the Superbike bars, waaaaaaaay better than the drag bars. I also got some gel grips! Fancy stuff!

Comment

Domino,

I can't remember where I got my bar ends. You were probably in grade school when I bought them!

Old Dude
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I have had this problem before, a tarnish forms on the brass fuse holder contacts and the tarnish does not conduct electricity.
                with mine it would start and I would go someplace and park, and when I came out it would be dead, I would mess with it and suddenly she would fire up like nothing was wrong, I finally tracked it down to the ignition fuse, I could wiggle it and suddenly I had power again, taking a fine grit sand paper and cleaning up the contacts cured it.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                  I have had this problem before, a tarnish forms on the brass fuse holder contacts and the tarnish does not conduct electricity.
                  with mine it would start and I would go someplace and park, and when I came out it would be dead, I would mess with it and suddenly she would fire up like nothing was wrong, I finally tracked it down to the ignition fuse, I could wiggle it and suddenly I had power again, taking a fine grit sand paper and cleaning up the contacts cured it.
                  Thanks Focus, I'm going to do just that. That's the one area where I didn't do any cleaning but probably should have been the first! I'll use some fine steel wool and polish up all of those brass holders. Sounds like the exact same problem I was/am having. Not after tonight!

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                  Domino,

I can't remember where I got my bar ends. You were probably in grade school when I bought them!

Old Dude
                  I didn't think they had that kind of advanced technology in your day Joe! I'll trade you some Transformers or GoBots for yours? Hahahaha......

I was probably riding my tricked out Schwinn with 3 on the frame, bananna seat and the little wheel up front with the shock! Oh yeah, the gradeschool ladies always asked me for a ride home.....and I would drop them off and run away scared as hell!

Younger Dude

Comment

Working...
                  X