Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is my Stator?

I have a 1982 GS650GL.
    Where is the Stator? I am waiting for my service manual to come in and just wanted to know.
    Thanks,
    Fil

Fil,

It's under your left cover. Tip - If you are planning on removing that cover, it's best to have an impact screwdriver handy to prevent stripping the screw heads.
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Left side of the engine. There is magnet mounted on the left end of the crankshaft and the stator (the coils of wire) are mounted inside the left side engine cover.

Comment

So its behind where it says Suzuki?

Comment

- Well, yes, that is where the stator it is, behind/inside the left engine cover.
          - But to test it you only need to get to the wires/connectors at the end of the cable. That will be either under the left side panel (plastic panel) or just foward of that with cable folded up and stuffed into a rubber boot. Will be 3 wires from the one cable from the stator connected to 3 wires to regulator/rectifyer ("r/r"), and one wire from r/r connected to wire to battery. These are the wires/connectors you need to get at to do the various tests. Can also see similar test on the "stator papers" on this web site "in the garage".
          - These connectors are the subject of much discussion. Many GSers have some familiarity with these, and sounds like you are about to become one of them or should I say "one of us".
          - Only need to get at the stator itself only to replace it.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Cool.
            Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
            X