Charging system help 83 gs100l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging system help 83 gs100l

Hey guys,need some advice with my 83 gs 1100L . Just put a new battery in it and checked the voltage while it is running to see if the charging system is charging correctly.with the engine idleing @ around 1k it shows around 13 volts at the battery terminals. I rev the enjine up and the voltage increases with the rpms to over 14 and spikes at ove 15 volts on the digital voltmeter .I assumed that this meant good to go. After taking the bike out and riding with the lights on for 2-3 hours ,you can check the battery again and it shows 11.8 volts and as you rev it up it does'nt increase a lot. When you try to start the bike it turns the bike over very slowly? After putting a 2 amp charge on it for an hour or two ,it starts instantly.I checked the regulator /rectifier...it has continunity in only one direction on the leads, so i assumed it is ok. I haven't checked the stator yet but have cleaned all contacts and connections.Anyone had a similar experience....Got advice? Thanks Much Larry....lstill@aol.com

That's purty strange, I wonder if something stops working when it heats up? That's certainly been known to happen in automotive circles.

Comment

charging problem

Do you have a headlight on/off switch on your 1100? My 850 has one and it works like this: The 3 phase alternator only sends 2 phases to the R/R with the switch off. Turn the switch on and the 3rd phase is connected to the R/R. With the battery at full charge and the bike running (5000rpm)check the voltage at the + battery terminal with the lights on then with the lights off. Both reading should be close and above 14vdc. This is a place to start.

Comment

you can also check/clean all you connections. especially the grounds. this isn't to complicated jus tkinda tedious. some thing maybe a little loose and vibrates and looses connection.

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
        X