'79 750 air filter: mystery #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 750 air filter: mystery #1

I just picked up a nice 750, but as I go through the bike one of the little things I spot is a mystery to me. The air filter frame (quite a different arrangement than the 550) does not sit up snugly to the seal on the opposite end from the screw. There are two little ears on either side of it that ride in brackets in the air box, but the ears are so small and the brackets are so big! Are there some kind of spacers or something missing? I can't find any information in the Clymer manual, nor any visual help in the parts fiche. Can you 750 owners help? I don't know if later 750s had a paper element filter, but just so everyone knows this is the older foam oil bath filter.

Use some foam to seal the filter to the air box

Comment

I had the same problem. I made a "new" foam gasket out of an old mouse pad and glued it to the top of the filter frame. Seems to work just fine.

Harrison

Comment

Edith Bunker moment....

OOOOOOOooooohhhhhhhhh! OHHHHHH! This makes sense, I was directing my attention the wrong place. So there's a foam seal on the filter frame, huh? I don't recall seeing anything there. I'll see if they have something at the shop today when I goes to get a roll of fuel line.

Thanks! Stay tuned for more mysteries....

Comment

I actually used the mouse pad idea, it works perfect, just the right thickness and firmness.

Comment

My 79 750 has been running just fine on a "mouse pad" for 3+ years now.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by Hotblack
            I actually used the mouse pad idea, it works perfect, just the right thickness and firmness.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
            X