85 gs550e-can't get carbs back on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 gs550e-can't get carbs back on

I've tried and tried and tried several different ways to get the carbs back on my 85 gs550e, and have had no success. The boots to the airbox seem a bit stiff and I think that's a big part of the problem. Is there a way to soften them up for installation? If not, what's a good website to find NOS parts like these? Other than that, does anyone have any other tips?

Thanks!

I'm new to the group, but have had my carbs off and on about three times already. Of course, if any of my advice if faulty, anyone is welcome to offer corrections.

A couple of things have worked for me. First, I prep the carbs and the boots with a little petroleum jelly to "grease the runners" so to speak. Then, I find it helpful to get behind the two outside carbs and position myself as if I'm sitting on the seat and then push the buggers in. It also helps if someone or a wall can keep the bike from moving forward.

Finally, it makes the operation a little easier overall if you hook up the choke and throttle cables before installing the carb, as these are a little harder to get to afterwards.

That's the best I can offer as a novice to the Gs's. Good luck and hang in there.

Comment

Make sure you've got the mounts for the airbox loose so you can move the airbox as far to the rear of the bike as possible.

Comment

I just got done doing this last week! I would post the link to that thread but I didn't give any info in it on how I did it so it is pointless. But here is what made the final difference for me. Also this was not a GS but a Kawi.

Combine what the other two fellows just said and add this. I loosened the air box so it could move back as much as possible as posted above, lubed the intake boots with a little petroleum jelly just as stated above and finally could still not get them to pop back down in. I did this, I put the rear in first into the air box, then I removed all 4 of the intake boot metal clamps as they were being the culprit! Then the carbs just popped right in! I slipped the intake boot clamps back around each one and put the screws back in and wallah! Carbs removed, disassembled, cleaned and put back in the bike and setup all in one night!

I hope that helps just a little bit. The clamps were my problem.
        Here is that thread just in case your interested: Hard Starts When Cold

Rock on!

Comment

Ah hA!!!! SO that's how it's done!!
          Looks like going back to stock might not be so hard after all.
          To think that I'll have to use my petroleum jelly on the bike is just weird...

But hey, whatever the heck works!!

Dm of mD

Comment

I used silicon spray rather than vaseline to get mine to slip in. I also had to remove the clamps to get enough flexibility in the boots.

Comment

Yeah that seems to really make the difference. Once I did that they popped right in.

I was so pleased with how it went because it didn't start out to good.

Comment

Aye! It went so bad for me I got a stage-3 jet kit and pods!
                Evil airbox....but pods are just hellspawn.

Dm of mD

Comment

I use the silcone spray as well. As a bonus, the silicone is good for the rubber parts. I'm not sure if the jelly does anything good or bad, but I us it some for holding o-rings and gaskets in place while I'm seating them. Works great for that.

Comment

Luke, WD-40 will deteriorate rubber parts over time. if it gets washed off your OK but long term exposure to it ruins rubber parts.

The Petroleum Jelly is perfectly safe however. That's why to use it instead of the other.

Comment

Working...
                    X