Lowering a GS450????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering a GS450????

My vertically challenged better half needs her GS450 lowered.

What are my options?

BTW I mentioned a machine made for streching humans in torture chambers. That is NOT an option. :-)

It is my opinion that an even smaller bike is the answer. Modifications of the type you are seeking often time change the handling and safety characteristics of the bike. Maybe not always but I think that if she really needs it lower then she would probably benefit from it being smaller as well.

And yes I am talking about bikes my friend

LOL!

Comment

Inseam

Out of curiosity, what's her inseam length? Many folks just need a bit of confidence (possibly on a lower (smaller) bike ) first, then they can migrate toa taller one. Also, many folks feel comfortable when they have both feet flat on the ground when stopped. This, of course is not necessary, for safe or enjoyable riding.

You might pick uf an inch or so by reworking the seat. That would prevent problems caused by adjusting the steering geometry.

SV

Comment

How much do you need to lower it?
        you can get about a inch by having the seat foam cut down and the seat recovered with out affecting the comfort of the seat much.
        more than that and you will need to do some lowering of the suspension.
        a vertically challenged buddy of mine did it with his 76 KZ900 and it handles just like it did before hand, the only draw back we have found is it bottoms out easier on big bumps at speed.
        to get it down lower you will need to locate shorter shocks for the rear and ether slide the forks up in the triple tree or shorten the fork springs and add spacers to the damper rod top out springs to compensate for the shorter springs, you can get a couple more inches this way.

Comment

Update: I loosened the fork clamps and that lowered the front an inch or so. Then I installed a set of shocks I got off Ebay. That lowered it about 2 inches.

Her Majesty can flat foot the ground now.

Tomorrow I'll take the bike to a shop with a torch and heat up the kick stand. I need to bend it out some so the bike will lean on it correctly.

This will enable me to leave the stock seat stock. No need to slice and dice.

Looks like a true blue slamma jamma low rider now. LOLOLOL

Comment

I can definitely appreciate how she must feel after your efforts! I've always found my 550L to be uncomfortably tall when I was attempting to maneuver it in and out of parking spots. Riding, of course, was never an issue.

I've owned it since '89 and it never occurred to me to seriously look into lowering it (save adjusting the rear springs to their softest setting so the bike would sit as low as the stock setup allowed). Thankfully my "new" 1100G sits slightly lower, and I don't think any adjustment will be necessary. Just the same, you've given me some good ideas if I should change my mind later.

Good Job!
            Steve 8)

Comment

Update ver. 2:

Removed kickstand. Measured twice cut once. Took out about a 2 inch section. Took the two pieces to a local shop. Had it welded back together. Cleaned, sanded, painted. Reinstalled. Voila!

I rode it and it seems to handle fine. No bottoming out. Checks out OK.

Her Majesty rode it. BINGO!

All is well on the home front.

Comment

Rock on LongBiker!

That's the way to master it man

Great job!

Comment

Hey Longrider....I wanna see a pic of the "lowered" bike.....might wanna think about doin some gravity alerations myself......

Comment

Working...
                  X