GS11000ED Rubber or Silicone Valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS11000ED Rubber or Silicone Valve cover gasket

Ok guys I remember reading about someone on here that bought a rubber or silcone valve cover gasket but can't find the posting. I need a new gasket and would like to replace it with one of these. Also will I'm at has anybody had the o-rings on their head nuts start leaking on them. I need to replace these to. Anyone got any Idea on what size these are? I have access to several sources of o-rings just wanted to get the measurement right.

Try this:

Hap

Comment

Yes, I have had the o-rings leak but it was quite a few years ago. I bought new ones at the dealer for a couple bucks each. I (along with several other Chicago guys) have installed the RealGasket Silicone Valve cover gasket. None of us has ridden much but I haven't heard of any problems yet. If you do get one be sure to torque the bolts to the recommended torque (15-20 INCH pounds, I think). This is about 3/4 turn past hand tight.

Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Ok guys I found the web site and ordered the gasket. Now did anyone use loctite on the bolts that hold the valve cover? I didn't know if the bolts would back out at 15lbs of torque? I'll probably use blue loctite on my bike. 8)

Comment

There are some folks who contend that Loctite should not be used with aluminum:

Originally posted by Gary
          Always use anti-sieze on on any bolt going into aluminum, it saves a lot of headaches. Never use Loctite on a steel bolt going into aluminum, there is a chemical reaction that can cause the aluminum to come out with the bolt resulting in a very nice hole with no threads.
          I have never experienced this but it is worth noting. One of the Chicago guys (AOD) put a very small amount of Loctite on his valve cover screws but that was not very long ago. I decided not to use any on mine but haven't run it for more than a few minutes. Something you might want to do before re-assembling is to clean and lube the threads on all the screws before you install them. This way your torque will all be spent actually tightening the valve cover down rather than being used to overcome dirty, tight threads. I use Tri-Flow which seems to work well.

Good Luck,
          Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I'm going to disagree with the statement not to use Locktite...Suzuki tells you to use it several places in the assembly of their motors (oil pump bolts, cam chain guides, passage blocks, etc.)

Hap

Comment

Great point, Hap! I am skeptical about possible problems with Loctite on aluminum but I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry..............Plus, you should know. Aren't you rebuilding for no particular reason?

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

What happened to your Bike Hap? On the subject of loctite theres three different grades that I use. Blue being the weakest of the three, Red being really strong and will take out aluminum threads when you remove bolts. Green is loctite that will creep into your threads after you put something together and usually requires heat to get it apart. There maybe other verisons of this but these are the ones I use.

Comment

Could some one post the web address for real gaskets incorp? I tried to look for it using Google and pulled up too much stuff to sort through. I just posted a message about using the "Good Stuuf" instant gasket due to a missing valve cover bolt. Maye a real gasket would be best?

Comment

Originally posted by dude
                    Could some one post the web address for real gaskets incorp? I tried to look for it using Google and pulled up too much stuff to sort through. I just posted a message about using the "Good Stuuf" instant gasket due to a missing valve cover bolt. Maye a real gasket would be best?
                    DUH!
                    I did a search on this forum and found it. WWW.realgaskets.com. I emailed Harold and asked him if he could make a gasket for my 82GS1100GK. I offered to send him my valve cover or a new gasket that I have purchased. I did not see one listed for it on the web site.

Comment

I did a search on this forum and found it. WWW.realgaskets.com. I emailed Harold and asked him if he could make a gasket for my 82GS1100GK. I offered to send him my valve cover or a new gasket that I have purchased. I did not see one listed for it on the web site.
                      Dude would you mind keeping us (me) posted on this? I would like to get one for my GK also.
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I have never used locktite on a valve cover bolt. Never had one come loose either.

Earl

Originally posted by sexton7z
                        Ok guys I found the web site and ordered the gasket. Now did anyone use loctite on the bolts that hold the valve cover? I didn't know if the bolts would back out at 15lbs of torque? I'll probably use blue loctite on my bike. 8)
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                          Dude would you mind keeping us (me) posted on this? I would like to get one for my GK also.
                          Don:
                          I will let you know what I find out. Received this e-mail from Harold this morning:

Hi Gary:

Thanks for you interest in our products. I am currently at a Car Show in
                          Charlotte, NC at the moment, but will be back in the office on Monday. Let
                          me look through the new gaskets I have been doing as I think I might already
                          have started to do one of these.

If I do not have one, I will let you know and we can decide what is the best
                          way to go from there. Sorry for the delay, but I am the "Chief Cook &
                          Bottle Washer" in this outfit and I am out playing at the moment.

Hang in there

Harold

Comment

Earl,

Do you use the RealGasket?

Thanks,
                            Joe
                            IBA# 24077
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Working...
                            X