Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to group and just bought a 1983 gs(X)75es rough...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to group and just bought a 1983 gs(X)75es rough...

I have some questions about the bike though,
    1. what size jets do I need for k&N air filter instalation?
    2. does the front end of a GSXR fit right to the frame of the bike, and I mean the whole front end: wheel caliper,forks and triple tree as a unit?
    3.what is the maximum tire size for the rear without ANY mods to the swing arm or sprockets?
    4. has anybody ever made a street fighter out of one because thias maybe the way I may go the bike is really a total rebuild.

P.S. How in the world can we attach a photo to this thing?

Trust me, you don't want pods/jet-kit. They're not worth the trouble.

Dm of mD

Comment

Re: new to group and just bought a 1983 gs(X)75es rough...

Originally posted by fnhuge
      I have some questions about the bike though,
      1. what size jets do I need for k&N air filter instalation?
      2. does the front end of a GSXR fit right to the frame of the bike, and I mean the whole front end: wheel caliper,forks and triple tree as a unit?
      3.what is the maximum tire size for the rear without ANY mods to the swing arm or sprockets?
      4. has anybody ever made a street fighter out of one because thias maybe the way I may go the bike is really a total rebuild.

P.S. How in the world can we attach a photo to this thing?
      1. Are you talking a stock replacement, or pods, and do you have an aftermarket exhaust? If you're going the pod/exhaust route, get a jet kit. It will put you in the ballpark.

2. Yes. I believe it will drop the front end of the bike a bit, but it's a common mod.

3 On the stock wheel 130/80 is the best you can do.

4 Yes, in fact I think there are examples in the gallery.

5 You need to upload the picture to another spot on the web, many of us use MSN http://groups.msn.com/SuzukiGSGarage Once it's uploaded right click the image, go to properties. Select the entire path for the image and copy it. Come back to your post you're writing and click the 'IMG' button, paste the path, and click the 'IMG' button again.

I've going the K&N pod and Kerker route on my 700. It's a fair amount of work to get things tuned, so Detman101 does have a point. If you're willing to do the work though, it can be very gratifying. Have fun.

Comment

Thank you for your quick response to my questions

YES I was talking about filter pods, If any body has already installed them on a 1983 gs 750 es maybe they could spare some frustrations.

thank you again for the answers to my quetions.

Comment

Get the jet kit, it comes with adjustable needles, something that the stock carbs don't have. It's worth the money. If you are running Pods, without a performance exhaust you may run into problems. I think you can 'load up' your cylinders. I think it's caused by not allowing the cylinders to fully clear out the exhaust gasses, making for sluggish performance in certain conditions. I'm not sure on this, I've never experienced it, but have heard about it in regards to 2 stroke motors. Tell me, oh great GSR techs, am I off base?

Comment

I'm running a 140/70 on the rear of mine with no problems. You can physically fit a 150 rear back there, as long as it's a low profile tire (70 series or smaller sidewall), but it's arguably too wide of a tire for the narrow rim.

You can fit a wider wheel with minor mods - namely by bending the brake caliper torque arm - 160 is possible. But if you go with a wider wheel, you'll have to adjust the backspacing on the front sprocket to align it with the new rear wheel.

A GSXR front end from certain years is a direct bolt-on swap. Your best bet is to find a complete front end with top and bottom triples, steering stem, forks, clip-ons, wheel with discs, calipers, and controls. You can swap out the swingarm, too - which requires a bit of work. The cheapest way to do this is to find a wrecked GSXR and buy it outright. You can find early 90's 1100's here for less than a thousand bucks - you'd spend this and a bit more if you did the swingarm and fork swaps and had to buy wheels and components seperately.

And you will NOT be able to find a new performance exhaust for your bike - they're not made anymore. You can fit the factory or aftermarket pipes from air cooled 750 and 1100 GSXR's to your bike with some minor mods.

Browse around the forums - there's plenty of info on fork swaps, swingarm swaps, and carb jetting.

If you're gonna "fighterize" your bike, I'd go all the way and do front and rear swaps.

Keep us posted....

-Q!

Comment

yes I believe your right, to fighterize my bike I will have to go big or go home.
              For now I might just want to get the thing running well and maybe just do some cosmetics (polish forks ,wheels,swing arm etc.)
              I will try to get the pictures of my bike and the work up on a sight as soon as possible I think I`ll need all the encouragement I can get.

Comment

What tire do you run on the back that's 140? I tried to do that and the guys at the shop couldn't get the bead to seat on the rim. There was too much of an angle.

Comment

I believe a 140 is too wide to run on the stock 2.5in. rim. You do not gain any grip because the rim is not wide enough to open the tire up properly. I would stick with a 130. I have a GS1150 rear rim that is 3.5in wide and this fits a 140 nicely, you will have to modify the rear brake torque arm though. I have used a 140/70 for many years, the only drawback is that it does lower the back end and if you corner hard to the left you will drag the sidestand mount. By the way, if you want a real gunfighter, try the TL1000S-it is a blast. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Sorry, fellas - my mistake.

The tire I just put on is a 130/70 BT45 Battleax.

The tire that was on it when I bought it was a 140/90(!!) Shinko (?).

Generic crap tire. I'm supposing the 140 beaded on there because it was such a tall-profile tire, and had more sidewall flex. It did rub on the torque arm quite a bit because it was too tall.

But that 130/70 Bridgestone leaves all kinds of extra room in the rear....

-Q!

Comment

Re: new to group and just bought a 1983 gs(X)75es rough...

Originally posted by fnhuge
                      4. has anybody ever made a street fighter out of one because this maybe the way I may go the bike is really a total rebuild.
                      Is this what you are looking for?
                      [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VACdAloXWKcw2s4HfTbxYEzCbPFvKJ4gq5cAe6m5kxFbNq5aU ZbwLrdW7atQ7PWbSlpY934at0GyTcPXD8UMIRVFKBF98rvuWht VumD2MagB4uorcA0VjlLXnlbcB*Um/2003_0531_081357AA.JPG?dc=4675424385509326779[/img]
                      this is Billy Ricks 85 model GS700 (basicly same as your 83) he has a GSXR front end on it and is running pods on trick flat slide carbs with a yoshimura race pipe, very fast, very nice!
                      he is a regular here in the technical forum but he is out of town right now on buisness, he should be back soon.
                      you can PM him and he can tell you what has to be done to do the conversion.
                      He is probably the #1 expert on doing the GS/GSXR conversion.

Comment

Yeah baby...Yeah!!!
                        What a sweet bike, Thank you.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X