Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weak spark

Hi folks!

I'm a newbie on this forum, although I've been viewing for a few weeks now. And so I've searched past records and done what I can do from what I've found. But I still have a problem. Here's what I've got:

- '81 GS750E
    -New Dyna Coils
    -New NGK plug wires and caps
    -New sparkplugs with proper gaps
    -Clean signal generator

I've got a very faint, stringy, weak blue spark, not a fat juicy spark like I've seen on other bikes. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    les

What did you use for wires??? The NGK caps are good, did you use solid core wire?? Or RFI ??? You should use solid core with the NGK caps and reg auto type boots if you use RFI wire. DId you use the green dyna coils. Make sure that you have 12 volts going to the coils

Comment

Yeah I'm using solid core wire, I've got the green dyna coils and 12 volts going to them. I heard something about needing correct ohms on my plug caps, does anyone know what the correct ohmage should be?
      Thanks
      les

Comment

If you look on the cap they are 5K ohms

Comment

if the spark is blue you are fine, you have to factor in the strain the starter is putting on the system.
          if the spark was yellow that would have been a problem.
          you could do the ignition bypass relay mod and this will free up some power and give a better spark.
          but as long as the spark is nice and blue things are fine.

Comment

Well my spark is blue it's just not good like I would expect from dyna coils.
            Now I'm curious - what is the ignition bypass relay mod? And how do you tell if you have an ignitor that's going bad?
            Thanks

Comment

One way is to go to a bike wrecker and ask them to swap ignitors and promise to pay for the new one if it helps. They actually took an ignitor off of another guys bike being serviced to test mine...so I didn't have to pay! woohoo, bought one elsewhere for half the price it would have cost me.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                If you look on the cap they are 5K ohms
                Hmmm...where on the cap would they say this?
                I have the same setup as the original poster and I didn't catch the fact that I needed 5k caps for the plug wires before...DOH!! 8O 8O

Dm of mD

Comment

Nevermind, found it. Mine are 5k too.
                  I've got the same setup as the original poster and get the weak spark with dyna coils as well. Everything checks out fine so I guess its a carb problem. Thank God.

:P
                  Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                  X