Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Throttle Cable

Ok, here's the problem.

I've just cleaned and reinstalled my carbs, but I didn't put the throttle cable back on the carbs before installation. There doesn't seem to be enough room next to the mount for the throttle cable end for me to get it in place.

I know this is plain as mud, but for you all that have done this before I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Any suggestions for getting the end of the throttle cable in place? I don't want to have to remove the carbs; what a dog getting them back in place!

Thanks,
    Kelly

Yes you can knelson. If you take loose the end up at the throttle it will be a lot easier than pulling those carbs back out. And then you will have enough slack to pull it down to where you can get the end back into it's slot. If you have trouble getting the housing end with the nuts on it back in you can loosen the bottom one to where it is almost falling off and then you should be able to get it in there.

Let me know if that makes sense and if you get it back in.

Comment

Thanks Hoomgar, I'll try that to get me some more slack to work with.

However, the problem I'm having is inadequate clearance to get the bullet-like knob at the end of the throttle cable into it's cut-out on the carbs.

Comment

Ahhh! Can you do it if you use a pair of needle nose pliers?

I am able to get it in and out on both my bikes with the carbs installed. That's why I ask. I can't believe that they would make you remove the carbs to put a new throttle cable on if it came to that.

There has to be enough room I would think?

See if you can get in there with needle nosers.

Comment

I would think so too, but there just isn't room to get the end of the cable positioned with the proximity of the intake boot.

I ended up pulling the front of the carbs out of the intake books, which gave me enough room to get the cable installed. Not too much work involved.

Hoomgar, thanks for your suggestions.

Kelly

Comment

No problem. And here is an after thought. Sorry I didn't think of saying this sooner, but were you actuating the throttle to get room? I mean take a screw driver and push the throttle wide open so that the spot where the ball goes in comes up to where you can reach it? That's how I do it.

I forgot to even say that. Sorry, that would have made the difference I bet

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts Hoomgar, but even with the throttle plates rotated open there just wasn't room to get the stop of the cable into position. Luckily, it wasn't too much work to pull the carbs back out of the intake boots to make room; not as bad as removing the carbs completely.

Comment

Rock on!

Comment

Working...
                X