79 gs850 carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs850 carbs

what do I set the jet on the bottom of the carbs at for a starting point. I forgot to skrew them in and count the rotations. :?

Thanks Les
    1979 GS850g

i was told that 3 turns out are the max
    turn your idel as low as you can go before stall, then turn air screw in a direction listening for idle to increase, turn untill idle starts to drop off then go back to get highest idel (you may have to pull one of the spark plug wires of a carbs you are not tuning so that you can hear the idel change) if you end up going mor then 3 turns out then

it is pointless (a guy from motorcyclecarbs.com--good folk there) so if you end up turning the screw out more then 3 you need to adjust your piliot jet to a smaller size so you can get more fuel. then turn the screw all the way back in and start over. i hope it helps,

so basiclly start at 1.5 turns and seee where that takes you.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I assume you're talking about the pilot screws underneath?
      These are set at the factory and are commonly set differently for each cylinder. It can take some testing/fine tuning to get them right. If your intake/exhaust is stock, I would set them at 1 1/4 turns out. Then warm up the motor first and adjust the side air screws for the highest idle you can achieve. Turn 2 screws at a time in 1/2 turn increments to more easily hear the rpm's. Then fine tune them. They will generally be 1 3/4 to 2 turns out. After all 4 are set, re-adjust the idle with the idle screwknob to around 1100 rpm. If you can, ride the bike around for about 5 miles at a steady 40 mph and get some plug reads. Make adjustments according to each plugs color. The pilots are sensitive. Just a 1/8 turn can change the plug color.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks Keith, I think I can handle that

Comment

Working...
        X