Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower RPM's on highway?

Hey All,

I was wondering which rear sprocket will allow me to bring down my highway RPM's? I don't want to go faster, I just want to improve my gas mileage.

Do I go with a higher tooth sprocket, or do I go with a lower toothed one?

Thanks,

P.s. I tried searching, not much available

Oh yeah,

79 Gs1000, all stock and running well.

Comment

higher tooth

Comment

Uhhhh, NEGATIVE on that. Less teeth on the rear sprocket will give an overall taller gear ratio and better milage.

Earl

Originally posted by pete_holden
        higher tooth
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

hah oh yah , my bad, i dono what i was thinkin haha, i just added more teeth on my rear sprocket cause i wanted more pep, haha i just wasnt thinkin when i replied, hahah sorry

Comment

Thanks guys.

earlfor, do you know if there's a specific part number I can search for?

I don't think a used sprocket would be a good choice.

I am running spoked wheels.

Thanks

Comment

I would not use a used sprocket either. :-) I assume you are running a stock #630 chain size on you 1000. Go to Dennis Kirk and plug in your bike make , model and year for a sprocket search. You will get quite a few choices. The bolt pattern of the rear sprocket is the same for all GS bikes and I know the GS 750, 1000, 1100 and 1150 all used #630 chain.
              (others probably did, but I do not know for a fact they did or which ones, so I didnt list them) I run a 38 tooth rear on my 750 to get the rpm's down and cruise at a higher speed while getting good milage and lower vibration levels.

Earl

Originally posted by TheGeneral
              Thanks guys.

earlfor, do you know if there's a specific part number I can search for?

I don't think a used sprocket would be a good choice.

I am running spoked wheels.

Thanks

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

After I put on a smaller sprocket, do I have to remove a link from the chain? Or is their enough play in moving the rear wheel back a bit? What should I do. My manuals don't exactly suggest anything other than stock set-up info.

Thanks

Comment

You will have to grind out at least one set of links. When you drop 1 tooth in the front (to do the opposite of what you are trying to do) then it is close enough that you do not have to. But when you drop teeth in the rear several at a time you will have to grind out a link or two. Just measure and see what you will need. Always best to remove less than you think if you are not sure. You can always grind another one out but if you remove too many a second master link is not only politically incorrect but it isn't a good idea either

Comment

Nothing is harmed by moving the axle to the rear a bit.
                    If you hook up your chain and find you dont have enough adjustment to move the axle far enough back, you will have to remove a link/links.
                    Stock rear sprocket is a 42 on my 750 and going to a 38 is a difference of 4 teeth, but only 3 spaces. #630 chain is 3/4" pin to pin in length, so 3 x 3/4 is 2 1/4 inches. I would remove two links which would be a length of 1 1/2". (you want to allow yourself some "fudge" factor, just in case. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by TheGeneral
                    After I put on a smaller sprocket, do I have to remove a link from the chain? Or is their enough play in moving the rear wheel back a bit? What should I do. My manuals don't exactly suggest anything other than stock set-up info.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X