Gas Tank "spreading"...is there a fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Tank "spreading"...is there a fix?

For a while now, I've noticed that my gas tank doesn't fit too well on my bike anymore. Even though the rubber cushions look like they are in good shape...the tank still wobbles a bit. For whatever reason, the tank must have "spread" a bit over the years. Not sure how that could happen.

In any event...are there any good tank repair shops anywhere? I'm thinking all they have to do is heat the metal up and slightly bend it back to specs.

Rudi

In any event...are there any good tank repair shops anywhere? I'm thinking all they have to do is heat the metal up and slightly bend it back to specs.
    Given that it is a FUEL tank, heating it is best done with caution and forethought. The tank steel is so thin that bending it cold will work as well and not risk an explosion. Try to measure how loose it is first, it may be possible to add some shim material to the rubbers or the frame pockets to firm things up. At least, that's where I would start looking before trying to bend anything. Those sorts of things (bending, heating, etc.) always seem to be harder than they seem and lead to more grief than expected.

Mark

Comment

I don't see how it could spread Rudi. I would be concerned that there has been years of erosion that have left the metal somewhere thin enough to allow this. I would be very concerned and have that checked/verified because if so and it is spreading as a result of that you could be in for a smoldering hot engine socked with gas as she bursts open someday on a ride. Possibly landing the front wheel back down could do it.

It just sounds scary to me.

Comment

II know how it spread, from personal experience. My first street bike was an old CB750 SOHC. I managed to put a good size dent in the tank (don't ask how, just keep in mind that I was only 16 years old). It was not creased so I decided to pressurize the tank with the air compressor we had on the farm and pop the dent out. It didn't take much pressure and sure enough, POP, out came the dent. Being very proud of my ingenious little trick I then placed the tank on the bike...damn...not only had the dent popped out but the tank also spread so that the two front grommets no longer supported the tank and it rocked like a baby's crib! When I tried to bend the tank back together I got a nice crease about 2 inches in front of the gas fill.

Rudi, Your best bet is to look for a tank on E-bay.

Hap

Comment

Working...
        X