Headlight and turn signals stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight and turn signals stopped working

Hello, I have a 1981 GS1100 and I love it. However while riding last year the headlight and turn signals suddenly stopped working. The brake light does still work though. I looked for a bad fuse but they were all good. Then I took off the seat and looked for a loose or disconnected wire but I could not find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Brian

Open the headlight and look for a disconnected/loose/corroded wire in there. If everywhere else checks out OK it is most likely in there. The headlight housing is the central wiring point for the bike.

Comment

Thanks for the tip , I will try looking in there.

Comment

Yes

Yeah, I think Mark is right, almost for sure. There are lots of plug-in connections in there that can come loose or get corroded because of water getting into it.

Also, I suspect that BOTH turn signals quit working because they may share the same ground wire....maybe the headlight, too!
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I'm all excited! I can't wait to get off work and open up the headlamp.
          Thanks!!

Comment

Hoomgar wrote:
            If everywhere else checks out OK it is most likely in there.
            Excellent deduction, Mark.......Sorry, couldn't resist
            Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
            "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
            1982 GS1100E
            1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by hotrodbiker
              I'm all excited! I can't wait to get off work and open up the headlamp.
              Thanks!!
              Things kinda boring at the jobsite, eh, hotrod 8O ?

Comment

You too Jimcor? 45 min to go!!

Comment

You might (just as insurance) replace the "good" fuse with a new one.
                  I have seen my share of fuses that looked perfect that did not work. :-)

Earl
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks I'll try that too! I'll let you know on Monday if anything worked.

Comment

that headlight bucket is a real birdsnest..I connected the ground wires to the green wire and ended up with emergency flashers..I have spent the whole day in that birdsnest and have created a lot of blue air today!!!

Comment

a important place to check is the connector for the dimmer/turnsignal switch it is located under the fuel tank on the right side, the heat from the engine causes the plastic of the connector to break down and cause loss of power to the head light and turnsignals.
                        also clean the fuse holder clips, the tarnish that forms on them does not conduct power very well.

Comment

I've had the same problems with my S. The headlight fuse just blows.It may look ok, but those BUSS type fuses sometimes crack at the silver connector.
                          More than once the glass will spin around inside the connectors, it's no good. I also run a 90w/100w headlight.
                          Not any more......back to a 55w/60w headlight.
                          The fuse block connectors will also corrode. Remove all the fuses, disconnect the battery first and clean those connectors.

As Earl said, clean em up!

I'm looking for another fuse block if anyone has one.
                          I already posted in the wanted section.......no reply

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl
                          Keith
                          -------------------------------------------
                          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl
                            I had to do exactly that only two weeks ago. Rode the bike one day, electricals dead the next day.

The fuse looked perfect.....it just quit somewhere inside.
                            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                            X